Author Topic: Back to the forum  (Read 1309 times)

Offline sorveltaja

• Finland
Back to the forum
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
Can't even remember, when was the last time I posted here. Nevertheless, I still greatly enjoy following the engine builds.

I haven't been able to make any machining for some time (years), because nowadays I don't have enough room for
machine tools and accessories.

So I discovered a new hobby recently, that requires less room. Electroforming, or more like electrotyping, as the term
used to be in the past.

Besides of that, I have ordered my first 3D-printer, which also shouldn't require too much space or tools. Or so I hope
anyways. 

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Back to the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
 Welcome back. Please tell me more about the elctroforming when you can or post some pictures.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
Welcome back...yes electroforming    is that the same as photoetching?
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sorveltaja

• Finland
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »
Thanks chaps. Steamer, no, electroforming is more like reversed etching, where you deposit metal from anode(+) to cathode(-) using electrolysis. From what I've read, it was used in museums to replicate
certain artifacts. The original artifact was coated with a rubbery substance to make a mold. When the mold cured, it was released, and "blackleaded"(with graphite powder) to make the surface electrically conductive. Then the mold was submerged to bath(electrolyte), and proper amount of current applied. In the old days, they used dynamos to provide needed current. Luckily we have today adjustable power supplies, that are affordable.

As Bill suggested, I think I really should start to take pictures, as plain text isn't as explanatory. Cheers.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
Sounds interesting, pictures definitely!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:29:21 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing how this goes. It sounds very interesting. And welcome back.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal