Author Topic: Tangler's New Workshop  (Read 2825 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Tangler's New Workshop
« on: February 20, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
Hi Folks,

A move to the South Coast brought a nice big (for the UK!) workshop into my life.  It seemed cavernous on moving day.

That soon changed when the removal guys started filling it with my kit :o  This was the only outbuilding so we purchased a bike shed which also houses the (small) amount of gardening items we need as well as the push bikes.  The up and over door has been replaced with with a 1/3 / 2/3 side hinge door which will be the normal access

The building is rendered brick and block single skin construction, semi-detached from a similar garage next door. 

Walls and ceiling have been lined with 50mm (2 inch) PIR insulation board and clad in 12mm (1/2 inch) softwood ply which was quite awkward to do around all the engineering stuff but it got finished with sterling assistance from Mrs Tangler.  I have installed 2 x 80W thermostatically controlled tube heaters set at 10C (50F) which I hope will keep the rust at bay.  The tandem is too big for the bike shed so I have had to provide stabling in its own loose box.

It's nice to have a window even if it takes up some valuable wall space.  Both it and the second door are double glazed.

The woodworking and grinding/sharpening stuff now has a dedicated area.

I finished sorting out where all the tools live yesterday so I now need to think what to make  :thinking:

Cheers,

Rod

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Tangler's New Workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
I love it Rod and hope you will enjoy all that space too!  It's suck fun to start out with a blank canvas and then put things right were you want them in an organized way which it looks like you have achievied very well.  Congrats on the new shed  :whoohoo:

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
 :thinking: How big is that Rod? It looks a very useful size.

I am sure you have spaced the machines out too much and it would be possible to cram put other machines in there  :naughty:

Do I recall you having some castings  ::)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
Good to see you've got it up and running at last Rod :ThumbsUp: Looks really nice and spacious but believe me you'll soon fill it up   :D

I guess you are now well and truly settled in so wishing you both many happy days in your new home  :cheers:

Looking forwards to hearing what you decide to tackle next

Best Regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »
That all looks very nice indeed, a pleasant work space to spend time in, and with a decent amount of bench space, which is always the thing that tends to get compromised ( my experience! )  I see what looks like your GHT Pillar tool and mini drill by the window, do you have a larger drill, or use the mill for that purpose?   Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
That looks a lot different to when you posted photos asking about insulation.

Hope you find a project to christen it with soon.

J

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »
That's an good looking playroom  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: Time to get the swarf flying  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 02:20:20 PM »
Nice shop Rod, I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

Dave

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  The area is 5m x 5m which is quite a nice size though I used my super wideangle lens to take the pics which makes the gangways look rather wider than they actually are.  I do have a pillar drill, which I have converted to VFD.

The mill does not have a quill, just a rising knee, which is not quite so convenient for drilling.  There are more machines hidden away - a drum sander, the metal cutting bandsaw and the Pultra lathe - not much room for anything else.  Jo, you of course, would get rid of all the brown stuff and concomitant tooling   ;)

My dalliance with locomotives hasn't really inspired me so I'll probably knock that on the head.  Before we moved I started roughing out some ally for a Farm Boy and have been toying with the idea of making an air-cooled version with finned cast iron cylinder and a cast iron head.  Has anybody else done that?

Perhaps I'll have something ready for Forncett !!?  I must add that Jason gave some very sound advice over on the ME forum and the DOW817 worked a treat sticking the insulation to the metal doors

Rod

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
Awesome looking work area. And so many drawers, a bit jealous of that.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
That's a great shop you have there, Rod!  I think you'll really enjoy your new space :)
Kim

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 02:34:15 AM »
Awesome looking work area. And so many drawers, a bit jealous of that.

Gerrit

Add another fan of drawers! I need more!
 :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »
Before we moved I started roughing out some ally for a Farm Boy and have been toying with the idea of making an air-cooled version with finned cast iron cylinder and a cast iron head.  Has anybody else done that?

I've not seen it done as the hopper cooled engines always seem far more popular than aircooled.

It should be easy enough to do from a bit of CI bar, just have a flange up at the frame end to bolt the cylinder on with and then some turned fins along the rest of the cylinder much like you did on the CHUKY. One step up from that would be to mill some or all of the fins so that you can leave a boss for a small cooling fan that can be belt driven off the crankshaft much like the air cooled Little Brother which is styled after the air cooled Assoc Hired man.  If you really want to carve something up and have a 4th axis on your CNC or like winding handles then something like this should be doable and a bit different to round fins.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »
Ahh, the cabinets...

Prior to the move I figured that the best way to shift the overwhelming amount of small stuff and stock was to cram it into cabinet drawers on wheels, lock the drawers and just get the removal guys to wheel them on to their truck.  The cost of the cabinets was a minuscule proportion of the cost of the move!  That worked fine.  The Bisley drawers were encased in stretch wrap to keep the drawers in place and sack trucked in and out of the wagon.   Shortly after we moved a (new) friend got in touch and offered me 2 ex-industrial cabinets.  These are just brilliant!  Lots of lathe tooling in this one:

This is built like a battleship and houses pretty much all my stock:

So thanks to Hugh.

Jason, thanks for the ideas. I'll give it some more thought.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »
With the proviso that no shop is ever big enough, this is big enough.

Very nice space.

gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal