Author Topic: OT (I think): Getting Word for my MacBook Air....  (Read 1135 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
OT (I think): Getting Word for my MacBook Air....
« on: February 19, 2019, 02:11:24 AM »
I want to put together 'build log' type docs for posting. MacBook Air doesn't come with anything except a simple text editor. There is supposed to be a thing called "Pages" that Apple put out but from many reviews it has some real problems with other apps reading the output of Pages.

I've been told that I can get Word for Mac free from the 'net. I can't find such a thing. Free trials then $$$.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: OT (I think): Getting Word for my MacBook Air....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:43:28 AM »
Pete I don’t think you will find words free but check your save options to see what formats you can save the document in. Most are compatible with words.

Regards Don

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:04:18 AM »
Hi Pete,

Pages in the iPad works fine for text for posting.

Most of my posts, including all the Thermodynamics ones are typed and edited in Pages, then simply copied and pasted into the forum reply box.  Then I add the attachments.

I believe the only thing to watch is not to do any fancy formatting, the forum system seems to prefer doing those in the forum reply box.  And don’t add photos in your text.  Emojis are fine added in the reply box, I did find doing sub scripts and super scripts a bit of a pain, probably should have tried what happened if I used Pages, but was usually thinking of other things.  I don’t know how it works for the host site links used to post photos.

It’s a good idea, as it means you always have a copy of your posts, especially any long ones.  The forum was having a few issues when I started, and it saved my bacon a few times.  All seems to be fixed now though, thank you Ade.

I suggest Pages and see how you go.  Formatting in Word won’t be very different I expect.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 04:33:16 AM »
Ah Ha!  The pics go in after the text is pasted in!!!  So it sounds like I don't need anything except plain text.

Excellent! That solves the problem for 'build' posts.

You've saved me a lot of aggravation.

Thanks,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:58:38 AM »
Pete,
I put the images in my text editor when I'm writing (actually, I do that first before I add the text around them).  If you type:

Code: [Select]
This my blah gadget:
[url] <insert URL for your picture here> [/url]
Isn't it a cool picture?

Then it should show up when you paste it in the reply window and do the preview. You'll ONLY see it in the preview, right?  Not in your reply dialog box.

I find that easier than inserting the pictures later.

Kim

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »
I find the basic text editor preferable for things I will post.  I use Kim's approach to putting in links and pictures, etc.

I have Pages on some of my Macs, Word on some, Word on PCs. I have found that word processors like Microsoft Word and Pages often put in formatting "goodies" that cause wierd things when posted, pasted, or translated.

If you're writing for publication or your great novel, then it's a different story.

ShopShoe

PS:  For more than a reply or simple post, I write in the text editor and save that file, then copy and paste the post from that file into the online box. This allows me to save my series of posts (like a build log) together without replies and archived for future use. I can create my own naming scheme for all documents and better keep track of what I am doing.

SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal