Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Live steam assistance please

<< < (2/3) > >>

PJW:
As most viewers will notice, this loco does not have a water level glass or a pressure gauge, although I may never run this loco i would like to restore the missing part or parts. does any one have a similar loco, pics, or just info please?

Peter.

Jo:
Have you pressure tested the boiler?

Do you have the tender?

Jo

PJW:
Hi Jo, I have not tested the boiler, but I do have a tender with a water pump in. I cannot see any test stamps on the boiler & I dont know what its working pressure should be. I was told that my 3.5" gauge loco would operate at 80 psi, so I would guess this would be half that??? I dont even have a burner to fire it.

Peter

Jo:
Peter you need to find the drawings for the boiler - this will tell you the design pressure of the boiler.

You must not attempt to pressure test the boiler without knowing the design pressure as you could easily over strain it and ruin the boiler.

Once you have the drawings go and talk to your boiler inspector. They will tell you what you need to do to the boiler or add to it to make it safe, then they will test it for you and give it a boiler certificate.

Jo

PJW:
I had no thought of pressuring the boiler as i have no idea what pressure it runs at 7 as you say it would checking over & testing by some one who knows what he is doing, using a guess is something i would not do. I have seen drawings for a 3.5" gauge & a 5" gauge for this loco, but not for a gauge 1, I have done some web searches but so far without success.

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version