Author Topic: 0.001" end mill  (Read 5947 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 0.001" end mill
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 12:50:52 AM »
G-Wizard recommends a .0001 DOC for slot cutting at 30K RPM and 11 ipm in brass. 

Well...I've only got 10K rpm...so..I'll drop that from 11 to about 3.5.....I'm going to try the first one tomorrow, at 1 IPM in Lexan,   0.0003 DOC.... :lolb:.I'll call it an attempt at 0.0003 DOC.  I'm not convinced the control system on this mill is that good...I'll probably have to try to set DOC off the part using the video microscope at 225X ...by eye!..

I'll run the mill for a while with a do nothing program cutting air while at spindle speed to warm everything up...then zero off.

I clocked the holder today and the best I could get it to be was 0.00025 run out...but it's at least repeatable.  I marked the spindle and holder
I'll check the cutter shank when I mount it prior to use...then once it's in...its not coming out till it's done.

I put a piece of Ultem in the chuck and carefully faced it.  I then put some super glue on that in a few dots making a picture frame on the part.  I then put the clean lexan down.   It is surprisingly parallel.  I'll attempt the cut the part out of the center of the frame  Can't get more specific, but I'll let you know how it turns out....This will be a short run....the real part will come if this is successful...but I'm not holding my breath....

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 01:59:04 AM »
Yes I have seen .001 drill bit and the machine that it is uses it.  Occasionally one of our fellow modelers has it as part of his display at show in WI.  He drilled a .001 hole at an angle if I recall in a human hair.  He then passed a wire through the hole.  Kind of neat, not sure when I would ever need a  .001 hole but I sure know where to go to give it a try if I do.

Bob

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 02:02:54 AM »
Yeah....well....like I said....We'll see if the machine and the jamoke driving it can make it happen..... :zap: :lolb:
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »
What machine are you using?

Is it stepper or servo actuated. If it uses steppers, what is the step resolution?

Steppers could have an impact on the cutter's survivability

Just guessing

Mike  :thinking: :thinking:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »
A Tormach with steppers.   They claim 0.0025 micron resolution but its my second biggest concern  First is touch off....
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 12:47:48 PM »
Sounds like you are in for a few "pucker" moments today not of the Valentines variety  :lolb:

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
Unless the lexan is perfectly flat, you probably need to start with Z0 above the work and make multiple  passes.

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:03 PM »
A Tormach with steppers.   They claim 0.0025 micron resolution but its my second biggest concern  First is touch off....
They do? I'm fairly certain it's 2.5 micron(.0001").
Is tool runout going to be low enough to use both flutes to cut?

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
Thats the plan kvom....well see how good pathpilot is!
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »
Unlikely....best I can get it is 0.00025
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
With many pumps from the one shot lubricator   i get .005mm repeatability in the z.   After waiting 5 minutes without anymore lube,  the repeatability is 0.05 mm....it realy needs continuous lubrication.....not boding well.
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »
Sorry about the unit flub   diesel.    Yes   .0025 mm  or 2.5 micron.....pre coffee
Damned ijjit!

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
My understanding is that to get the lowest possible runout, the spindle needs to have air bearings for both axial and length positions.
The most accurate collets I know of, are hydraulic collets that distort to hold the cutter.
Grade 3 ceramic balls are to or better than 0.00008mm for roundness and size variation from the smallest to the largest. Places like Cerbec can supply balls tested to 0.000026mm for roundness and variation at a cost . There may be better and more accurate balls, but then the housing and the outer and inner races have to be made super accurate as well. A lot of steels are just not stable enough to make things from to be that accurate. Which is the reason for testing of gauge blocks and micrometers on a yearly or so basis.  I know that the concentricity of the spindle bearings in  the cylindrical grinder is 0.0003mm aproximate , it may be 0.0004mm but is less than 0.0005mm total run out. The housing bearing is ground in situation on the work head, and requires to be returned for the factory to refurbish it.
I would think that a concentricity under 0.0005mm is about all you could ever expect.
When you get to measuring things less than 0.005mm , it starts to get real expensive and takes time for all sorts of reasons. But mostly because of the materials stability and the temperature it is being processed at.
Neil

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 07:42:44 PM »
I was quite proud of having drilled some 0.2 mm (0.008") holes  ::) There's a lot further to go  :thinking:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 09:34:44 PM »
In the words of Foster Brooks: “Uh um might need a good stiff drink or two two ahhhhh um settle your ummm nerves “ :lolb:  For those that don’t know Foster, google him. I’m anxiously awaiting the results from this experiment

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal