Author Topic: No-Fog Cooler  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Joco

No-Fog Cooler
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
Been working on a no-fog cooler. Its based off a number of plans generally available out there so no claim on originality.  Also referenced the patent at https://patents.google.com/patent/US5390854 for some more clarity on how it is supposed to work, pressures and some key measurements.

Still testing and the like but it seems to be working without atomising from what I can tell. Like I said, more testing to do.  Once I have proven it some more I'll post plans with final dimensions along with some description of the key elements of the build.

This video is using a standard soluble oil solution of 1:35 ratio. The thinner the coolant solution the better it will operate. I suspect a proper light weight coolant like koolmist and good old wd40 (for aluminium work) will be easier to dial in than this mixture.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/eofweavTvl0[/youtube1]

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

Re: No-Fog Cooler
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:27:37 AM »
I have been building a QCTP holder for a DI today using the Dah Lih mill and the new no-fog cooler. Conclusion is the cooler is working as designed. Getting good cooling effects with low coolant use. It worked very well with the HSS 25mm roughing endmill, the 10mm finishing end mill and the 60 deg dovetail cutter. At the end of cutting the steel block was quite cold to the touch. No warming at all, if anything is was noticeably colder than when I first placed it in the vice.

So here are the plans I have made up to reflect what was built. Some observations to help ...
- The M5 holes are for the quick push fit air fittings I got off Aliexpress. These could obviously be changed for whatever suitable air fitting and hole/thread size you had or wanted to use.

- The materials I used were:
Mix block = 6061 aluminium. This could just as easily be brass if you wanted to.
Tube, nozzle and M6 adaptor = brass

- The brass parts were secured to the tube using loctite or equivalent adhesive.
- The brass M6 adaptor was sealed into the mixer block using plumbers thread tape.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

Operating pressures
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 04:40:07 AM »
For operating pressures after some tinkering I am using 20psi on both the fluid tank and the air feed.

I'm currently using normal old soluble oil in a 1:35 mix per its instructions. In time I will try and source some proper MQL coolant for this device.  I have found a local supplier who seem to stock a vegetable oil based coolant design for MQL use in mist coolers.  its not very cheap by 5 litre should last a pretty long time.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Looks like you get a good result - have you tries using it "in anger" on a real job yet ?

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 11:38:29 AM »
Been working on a no-fog cooler. Its based off a number of plans generally available out there so no claim on originality.  Also referenced the patent at https://patents.google.com/patent/US5390854 for some more clarity on how it is supposed to work, pressures and some key measurements.

Still testing and the like but it seems to be working without atomising from what I can tell. Like I said, more testing to do.  Once I have proven it some more I'll post plans with final dimensions along with some description of the key elements of the build.

This video is using a standard soluble oil solution of 1:35 ratio. The thinner the coolant solution the better it will operate. I suspect a proper light weight coolant like koolmist and good old wd40 (for aluminium work) will be easier to dial in than this mixture.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/eofweavTvl0[/youtube1]

Cheers,
James.

I've got the kool mist at work with a fogger, but due to the environment at work, ive been resistant to using a fogger as I can't control where the fog ends up, and the machine is by our product shipping and receiving.   So I'm watching this       That looks like some nice work Joco...  following along :popcorn:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
You will love the device! One of the most useful additions to a shop with smallish tooling. There is a very  noticeable improvement in cut quality and the machine sounds like it is not working as hard. I used it on my cut knurler as well while making the sprayer stand.

Internally mine is very similar to your implementation. I made my needle valve from O1 drill rod, it doesn't rust due to the oil :-)

I will post mine in a separate thread so as not to hijack Joco's.

Gerrit

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:47:24 PM by gerritv »
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Joco

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:04:57 AM »
Looks like you get a good result - have you tries using it "in anger" on a real job yet ?

Been using it to build a dial indicator holder for my QCTP.  Still work in progress as only getting little bits done here and there.  However using it to cool the 25mm roughing end mill when hogging out the dovetail gap before moving to the dovetail cutter had it working a treat.  The work piece was quite cold to the touch yet ambient air temp was around 20 to 22C. No smell of coolant in the air and a small residue of coolant on the work after cuts.

Today I have been using it when bringing into square 15x15mm square a 130mm length of some 40x16mm flat bar I split down the middle.  Working really well. Again work is chill to the touch compared to the other metal surfaces on the mill.

I'm still working on the finish which I think is as much about the cutters being used as anything.  But the cutting sounds and feels much easier with the cooler than without.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:31 AM »
Here is a picture of the overall arrangement at the business end.  I opted for an approach that had the control valves away from the head.  Mainly because I did not want to be playing with knobs on the end of something wobbly.  So I have them back up the piping where they can be affixed to something more solid.  In this example I have them cable tied around the DRO arm.  I think this location will change when I get some segmented pipe to act as the flexiable arm.  Anyway, thought might be of interest.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 06:21:21 AM »
Here is the "tank" end of the setup.  I opted to have pressure control on both the feed into the tank and the air line to the cooler head.  Just in case with different fluids I will get a better result with different pressures.  It's possibly overkill but at least I can tweak it if I need to.

James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal