Author Topic: Designing the 1905 Regal  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Designing the 1905 Regal
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »
Looks great Craig.
So the weight is free to slide up and down the shaft to operate the latch? I'm curious what the purpose of the square head set screw is on the weight on the original engine?

Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »
Last post before I put this design away for a while.  Here you see the mixer and muffler designed and installed.  The mixer appears to be of the simple suction variety so that’s how I designed it.

I’ll be putting this design on the shelf for now; I have a newly arrived casting set I’m keen to get started on.  I’m thinking of starting the build for this engine after that engine is complete.  I think Jo stated that you always need to have several projects “In the wings” (If I may paraphrase).

Dave- you ask a good question.  When I observed the engine in operation (and I think you can make it out on the video I give on the preliminary post) the weight was freely sliding up and down the column.  I guess?? You could tighten the set screw and disable the governor??? Why would you want to do that??? Maybe during setup???  I just don’t know.

MJM- There could be a hundred pages involved in explaining the thought processes going into this model. 
I took many photos and measurements of the full size.  These helped me in designing the individual parts and getting the scale “more or less” correct. 
3-D design must be an art form.  So much goes into drawing the individual parts.  In a way, how you draw the individual parts makes a huge difference in how much re-work you need to do.  You learn to draw a component, building constraints into the lines on the drawing, so that you can re-size a part and all the non-essential lines will adjust accordingly.  This is a huge boon to productivity because it allows you to rapidly modify a part without redrawing it.  That part will go into sub-assemblies, and the sub-assemblies to other sub-assemblies, till finally the main assembly.  If you’ve done the drawings and constraints correctly, the change you made “shifts up the line” and you have no other adjustments to make. 

For Final assembly, I found myself assembling the sub-assemblies, using the assembly tool to measure the clearances (or lack thereof) and making minor changes to a few key components to get everything to final assemble correctly.  It’s really a great tool for design but hard to explain till you get in there and learn by doing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:51:05 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
Hi. Craig,

Thanks for the explanation.  It seems a lot of work to start the learning curve, and some extra to put in those constraints, but the payoff clearly comes when you need to modify a part, an inevitable step in design development.

Looking forward to this engine coming to the top of your build list.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »
A bit of news on this project. 

I've been using my CAD tool "cubify design" on the cold winter days to create the drawings so that I'll have them all together and ready to start cutting metal when this project percolates to the top of the list.

Last week I launched Cubify and went to open a part and the software "tanked" with a fatal windows error.  With Cubify being an unsupported product, this was going to be a problem (catastrophy?).

The 3D Systems folks, who used to market Cubify were of little assistance, saying that probably some recent windows maintenance was incompatible.  (Really, do ya think :-\)

Anyway, I ended up calling the Alibre folks, and they gave me a GREAT deal on getting me into Alibre Design Professional.  This gets me support again  :whoohoo: and I found that Alibre Design Professional works with all my Cubify projects just fine   :pinkelephant:

I mention this in part because if you are a Cubify Design user, your days are really numbered and you might be able to move up for a reasonable price like I did.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:22:19 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 08:33:20 PM »
That's what I did with my older Alibre PE, got a good price for Pro and you do get quite a few more features.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »
I'm still running my copy of cubify under Windows 10, Windows 7 and XP. The error only occurs on the Windows 10 machine if I try to add text to a 2D drawing. Thankfully I have a standalone license so was not impacted when they turned off the license server, something I learnt to ask for after they dinged me for a second full fee when I updated my previous computer  :cussing:

So I now have a dedicated stand alone (non updating  ) machine to do my CAD on, Thank you Dave  ;D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 11:35:25 PM »
Jo

Mine was failing when I tried to open a drawing.  The latest Windows update got me so you might want to delay that update.  Interestingly enough, Alibre Pro, right after install, was failing for the same problem; but the Alibre folks pointed me to a .mso file that windows published to "fix" it.

This is the URL to the "fix" if you need it, I suspect it would "fix" cubify also.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4481031
Craig

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 07:46:52 AM »
Thanks Craig,

I have just checked my Windows 10 Cubify program and other than the text function  :disappointed: it is still running. Looking at my Windows update it is already scheduled to pick up the update you pointed me at  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal