Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

Raglan mill help

(1/12) > >>

scc:

Hi All,    My Raglan mill is in need of new leadscrews/nuts on it's x/y axis. I got away with it on the big Burrell but  cannot cope with the smaller stuff...locking gibs and adding/subtracting numbers to dials is not on :ShakeHead:
I am unsure about making new myself (the long one is to long for my lathe anyway. Thread is square 0.625 inch dia X 8 tpi, one of them is left hand. Are parts available?
Any ideas?

raglan

steamer:
Is it the screw that is gone? or the nut?
Or both?

Dave

crueby:
From the bottom photo, it looks like at least the screw thread is gone, the threads look very thin in the middle, that machine has made lots of swarf in its day to wear that much!
I don't know about full parts, but threaded rod and nuts are available from commercial suppliers - that looks like an Acme thread?

steamer:
ACME is readily available

https://www.roton.com/product/acme-steel-screw-left-59391/

Dave

steamer:
My thought is to document what is there completely.   Then purchase some threaded ACME Lead screw blank material.    Cut the old stub ends, and bore out for a close loctite fit and turn the OD of the threaded stock to fit.   Loctite them together and that takes care of the screw.

The nuts can be done similarly by boring the old nuts to accept a new nut loctited into place. 

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version