Author Topic: Maudslay Marine Steam Engine  (Read 11684 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Maudslay Marine Steam Engine
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 12:55:04 AM »
If you lived near, I'd stop by for some silver soldering lessons.  Just remarkable George.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline kvom

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »
I expect to see it running at NAMES.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »
The first reply is for Bill.
Here's a picture of some of my X-acto blade scrapers. I have them ground to different fillet radii. I grind them with a slight angle then hone them with a diamond stick so one edge does the cutting. The internal ones are ground the same way using small mounted stones. For the external radii I grind clearance at an angle so when I'm scraping the sharp edge doesn't dig in and leave a mark.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »
I sure would have liked to use 360 brass for the flywheel but couldn't justify almost $80.00 U.S. with shipping for a piece of .50 x 6.00 x 6.00 especially when 75% of it is going to get cut away. I have a piece of yellow brass (don't know the grade but it's the somewhat gummy type) so I cut a piece from it and knocked off the corners so there wouldn't be quite as bad of an intermittent cut in the lathe. I put the piece in my mill and squared up the four sides so it would sit square in the 4 jaw chuck. I put a center mark in the plate so I could put my wiggler point into it and indicate it somewhat on center. I lightly clamped the plate allowing most of it to protrude from the chuck then indicated the face square. I cut the first side down leaving about .03 stock for any mishaps. I took a light cut on the face then cut the recess (.062 deep) and finished up the center boss. I bored the center hole large knowing that this brass is a pain to work with so I could later make a pressed in insert.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »
The disc was the flipped over and the other side was cut.
Now it was back over to the mill. I set up the rotary table and indicated it true. The disc was set up on small parallel blocks, indicated to center and clamped tight. I started by center drilling the corners of the spokes followed by an undersized drill and finished up by running an end mill through the holes. The small corners have a .188 radius and the large inside corners are .25 radius.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2019, 09:05:20 PM »
Using a .250 diameter end mill I cut the triangular pieces from between each spoke. I followed up with a .312 end mill then finished with a .375 which blended out the spoke with the corner radius.
With all the spokes cut I set up a home-made 45 degree chamfering mill and cut the corners of the spokes and the larger inner diameter. The original drawings call for a chamfer so this is what I went with.
Once all of those chamfers were complete I mounted my boring head again with a 45 degree cutter and did the large inside corners.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »
Beautiful flywheel, very nice proportions. Will the other side get the chamfers too?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
That's going to be a beautiful fly wheel, George!

Kim

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
The flywheel was removed and the rotary table cleaned up. The flywheel was flipped over and rough located with my centering rod then lightly clamped.
The center hole was indicated and the flywheel bumped to perfect center. One side of a spoke was indicated true to the -Y- axis and the rotary table was set to the new -0-. The chamfering was completed on the back side like the front.
I lightly cleaned up the tool marks with fine emery cloth then made the center bushing to fit the crankshaft.
The last 2 pictures show the flywheel mounted on the crankshaft. Now I have to make all the screws and acorn nuts to properly assemble everything. Chuck had made a reversing valve so I'll take a look at it and see how it works out to my .70 scale.
gbritnell

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2019, 10:03:41 PM »
Beautiful George, and those chamfers really add a lot to the flywheel. Love the set up you used as well.Thanks for the pic of the blades also.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2019, 10:07:30 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of work, but well worth the effort!
Kim

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2019, 10:13:51 PM »
Hello George,

Outrageous, simply outrageous the beauty and quality of your work :praise2: Thank you for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »
George your still my hero! I was thinking you might make the flywheel from pieces but you chose one solid piece and yeah this stuff is expensive. Great job on the flywheel buddy and you know ........I.......Like....... :Love:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcornsmall:

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2019, 10:51:05 PM »
Just fantastic work George! The flywheel is beautiful!
 I'm sure the 45 angle was a bear to machine, but it adds so much to the detail of the model.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal