Engines > From Kits/Castings

Southworth 6" Boiler Feed Pump

(1/4) > >>

Chipmaster:
I started building this pump three weeks ago and completed it yesterday, There are no pictures for a build log because I could hardly see many of the operations let alone photograph them as the parts were virtually obscured by the milling chucks or hidden in vices.
I bought the kit / castings at the Bristol Show last year. It isn't difficult as long as you plan ahead about how you're going to hold some of the small components and take great care tapping 10BA threads!
I found it difficult to get it to run at first, probably because the shuttle valve stuck repeatedly and the screw securing the pilot valve drive (slide valve) kept slipping . This meant that I had to repeatedly undo the eight 8BA nuts securing the valve chest cover, I lost several as I fumbled putting them back on.
I'll run the pump to bed it in then take it apart for the cosmetic work.
I am very pleased with the results, the pump seems capable and I look forward to using it with my 6" vertical coal fired boiler.

Here are some pictures of the pump and a YouTube video of it working on compressed air'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0TZWhRsHmQ

Andy

Jo:
 8) Nice little pump Andy,

Jo

Admiral_dk:
That is small and it works as requested => time to celebrate  :cheers:

scc:
Lovely :ThumbsUp:    Re-kindled fond memories of  playing with (bigger!) Weir pumps during apprentice days.         Terry

Gas_mantle:
Great stuff Andy, looks to be a good runner and pumps at a decent rate.

I have the castings for the 3" version that I haven't started yet but I now know where to come for help  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version