Author Topic: 4x6 band saw help  (Read 2001 times)

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
4x6 band saw help
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:50:25 AM »
I've had my HF 4x6 band saw for several years.  I caught my grandson playing with the tension control. Didn't know how much he turned it. Now it won't cut  or at least very slow. I loosened the spring all the loose.  That being all the weight with max speed rate. It still very slow so I checked blade and replaced it with a bi metal 10-14 blade. Cut slow still. Is there a pre set spring tention starting point? Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, researching this issue I found blade break in procedures.....anyone explain how this is done?

Thanks again

Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 4x6 band saw help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:42:02 AM »
V45

did he mess with the drive belt ratio?....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:47:17 AM »
Also wondering if it was the blade tension or the downfeed rate that was messed with. Hard to imagine blade tension alone giving this result. Not sure how the downfeed is adjusted on this saw though. Does the blade feel sharp?

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:06 AM »
Ah   Did he mess with the counter balance spring?!    check to see if he tightened it up all the way, that would tend to hold the whole saw up during a cut.   Its usually down the side of the saw with an extension spring to a lever.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 01:53:55 AM »
That makes much more sense given the result.

Bill

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:42 AM »
 The drive belt wasn't touched. The downfeed spring was.I did put a new blade on...yes it's sharp. I have the counter balance spring all the way out...no tension.

Afterwards I changed the speed to 80 to try and cut some bronze. Barely made a 1/16" cut.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 02:25:52 AM »
Hi V45,
 I’m no expert but from the bandsaw group....
Blade tension, it needs to be tight....not just hand tight. I go for a deflection of about 2-3 mm when you push the blade sideways
Get yourself a spring balance, the weight on the saw head should be about 3.5kgs....if I remember right...adjust the spring tension on the down feed.

If all else fails I’ve attached an article on how to adjust & setup the saw, hope it is help.
Let us know how you get on.

Edit, I’ve removed the attachment, becuz for some reason it didn’t contain any information! See Gerrit’s reply for a copy!

Cheers Kerrin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:06:42 AM by Steamer5 »
Get excited and make something!

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 02:32:55 AM »
Kerrin...Thanks for the info. I keep getting a download error when opening the attachment.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 05:27:01 AM »
Yeah, the PDF has zero size.  Wonder if there was an upload problem?

I''m very interested in the setup info too!  I've had my HF horizontal bandsaw for 6 years and its worked great.  But sometimes its better than others, and I'm not sure why.  I'd like to understand how to properly set the blade tension. I think that could help me get more consistent results.

Hope you get your saw figured out V45

Kim

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
I'll have a look and see if I'v still got the blade break in instructions. About the slow cutting, have you got the blade the right way round, I put one on my saw the wrong way, it did cut, well it marked the metal.
Ian S C
Found it, not quite the one I wanted, it was for the 6 x 4 saw, and gave speeds and cutting times. BAND BREAK_IN PROCEDURES: Important: When cutting metal start the machine at the recommended band speed and at reduced feed pressure. Gradually increase feed  pressure throughout a number of cuts to optimum feed pressure. a failure to observe this will result in band damage, the most common forms being tooth strippage, chipped and broken teeth and rapid even wear on corners and tips of teeth. I'm sure that the other instruction said to run at reduced speed for the first few cuts.
Ian S C
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:38:05 AM by Ian S C »

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
Here is the pdf file.

I found even with brass that my shop-made coolant sprayer worked wonders to prevent the heat from building up and binding the saw blade.
I tension my blade to give a nice twang. When not in use I remove the blade tension. Not sure if that works to keep the blade from stretching but it is habit now.

Using the alignment process results in a very straight cut. Depending on your saw guides (there seem to be considerable variations in implementation) it is fiddly but so worthwhile.
Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »
Thanks Gerrit and Kerrin for posting this.  I'll have to read it tonight when I've got some time!
Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »
Hi Gerrit,
Thanks for posting the how to!
Don’t know why mine didn’t post, have a feeling that one of the updates to Adobe is the reason! I had tried again when we got home late last night but got the same result, so deleted the post

Cheers Kerrin

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
Thank you all...it sorted out now. I had to put all the spring tension in until the blade would not fall on it's own. Then turned until it hit the off switch by itself...plus 2 more turns. Replaced the blade and a little more aligning. It wasn't too far off. Cut some very mild steel for a blade break-in. Then cut some scrap steel. Then moved on to the job I needed...bronze.

Thanks again

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Hi David,
 Glad you got it all sorted. The bandsaw is a very useful bit of kit in the shop!!

Cheers Kerrin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal