Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

Advice on small lathes

(1/16) > >>

nats:
Hello,
Some news because I didn't give up ! :)
I bought few book about motor 3 especially about model engine and one about the theory of ICE and I started doing
some design in Freecad.
In the mean time I realize I'll need a tiny lathe at home because the hackerspace is far and it's not a good way to work
by small time slot.

I saw few tabletop lathe on this forum, I was wondering if Sherline one could be a good choice.

Have a nice week end ! :)

b.lindsey:
Mehdi, there are several Sherline and Taig users on the forum including me. I have done a lot with my sherlines, lathe and mill and as long as you understand their sire limitations they are good little machines. Not sure how available they are in France, you would know that better than me of course. What I like most about them is the number of accessories available for them which you can add over time as budget allows.

Bill

fumopuc:
Hi Mehdi. welcome to MEM.

nats:

--- Quote from: b.lindsey on February 02, 2019, 07:34:57 PM ---Mehdi, there are several Sherline and Taig users on the forum including me. I have done a lot with my sherlines, lathe and mill and as long as you understand their sire limitations they are good little machines. Not sure how available they are in France, you would know that better than me of course. What I like most about them is the number of accessories available for them which you can add over time as budget allows.

Bill

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the advice, it can be sourced at robotshop in France thanks for all advice :)
I have one more question: there is a currently running ebay auction for a unimat 3, is it a good lathe ? It's in a really good shape with few tools.

b.lindsey:
Mehdi, I also have a Unimat 3 that is recently cleaned up  after years of little if any use.  It is a nicely built machine but perhaps a bit smaller than the Sherline. The downside is that they are no longer made to my knowledge an not as many accessories are available as for Sherline. Again, it ill largely depend on what kind of parts and sizes you envision as both are small machines.  Do you have a link to the ebay posting? What tooling is being offered with it?

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version