Author Topic: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version  (Read 29442 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
Per: I’m sure my little bit of kit looked like a weed in a flower garden in Tug’s shid.  :ThumbsUp

No, I meant what I said - your tool is accurate and has a very nice finish  :ThumbsUp: - as to compare it to Ramons work - apples and oranges ....

:ThumbsUp: to you guys for two wheeling it (and not on monster highway cruisers either).

You ride what you have (on the road anyway), and after my serious accident April 1st, 1994, and an left arm full of stainless steel - I decided only to get a bike (or more) with a maximum weight of 200 Kg. (440 pounds) in order to be able to pick it up from laying on it's side. Why ..?.. well without full strength and accidents do happen - like an extremely hot sunny day, where the tarmac melts and you find your ride on it side, due to the stand has sunken into said tarmac  :cussing:  :Mad:
Besides Tug is right, we had a bit too much "cargo on board" for comfort.
I do enjoy riding a Real Motorcycle, as in a bicycle with an engine - mind you, as you have guessed none of my rides fit that description perfectly. I have a DL650 Vstrom, a DR350 offroader in dire need of a restoration (I got most of the parts - minus time) and an LS 650 very incomplete as a Cafe Racer project.

Sorry Ramon for the babble ....

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »
Apologies? No need on both counts  :???:

Hell, Whiskey I jest thought you were bein' 'Whiskey'.  Your acerbic wit always brings a smile  ;) I just thought I'd mention poor old Henry as his plight has had an understandable salutary effect of seeing a long standing friend in his current situation - could happen to us all at any time  ::) Everything, literally, just stopped over night for him.

You're right Per - This gift has a special meaning and fits right in  :ThumbsUp: but just to put it in perspective it sits where it does 'cos I don't want to put it in the drawer with all the other tap wrenches and get it spoilt - it will no doubt at some stage get used in anger but until then it can remain in pristine condition safe at the back of the bench waiting for the right moment  :)

Guys - I've been waiting for the right moment - guess this is it. A few weeks ago I received an 'unsolicited' package from Whiskey containing a mystery object. I opened it to find a really beautifully made tap wrench  that works as smooth as silk and really deserves a fitted case (and that is not a hint  ;)). A gift of friendship made as a result of the workings of this fine forum it joins three others, two personalised mugs and a fantastic engine book all totally different but just as meaningful, from other members. Each of them means a great deal  and I truly appreciate the kindness and thoughts behind such - thanks to you all :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

New pistons were all made and lapped to respective liners then cleaned the lathe of all the cast iron dust ready for the conrods before realising I'd forgotten the contra pistons  :facepalm2: Got them done as well though. Didn't take many pics as that's all been covered before on here but will pop a few up next time.

Con Rods next - getting ever closer to that first run now ;)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2019, 11:22:49 PM »
Seems like a good time to Just say “ahhh “

« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »
A good snort of whiskey is supposed to bring a bit of relief  8)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2019, 10:38:57 PM »
It's been a productive couple of days in the ol shid and this project is now very close to finishing  :) Con rods are done and the final bits - the needle valve parts are near finished too.

Given current comments in other posts regarding lapping and thanks to Achim I spent a bit of time running through my old post on the subject. Nothings changed and these three, like all the other engines described before, have followed exactly the same path. No point in running over old ground in detail then.

One of the previously made laps was recycled by turning a few thou off

The liners were lapped before dealing with the pistons. Lapped with successive grit (320, 600, 1000) until the plug gauge would ease in to just below the exhaust ports.

A piston lap was turned until the liner plug gauge was an easy fit then split and drilled and tapped for a closing screw

The pistons were turned to a fine finish .05mm more than the plug gauge then lapped until they would enter the bore as the plug gauge ie just below the exhaust port.

They were then lapped by hand to their respective liner using minimal amounts of 1000 grit and plenty of lubricant. This is a slow, time consuming operation that cannot be rushed. Patience is the key and mine is usually just about running out just as the piston skirt reaches the lower exhaust face ::)

As mentioned previously it was only after the second had been done that I noticed the top of one piston appeared distorted - I pushed it with my finger at the same time the brain realised what had happened :facepalm2:

Three new ones were made with a slightly more substantial top thickness and lightening them by extra milling inside. These were then lapped as previous leaving them a tight fit at the top of the bore. Further fine lapping will get done on assembly.

Conrods were made from Alumec 85 a tough grade of ali via a local factory tool room. All above board unfortunately 'my supplier' has now retired so that will now become a diminishing resource  :(. Cut from a slab the pices were milled to square section before rough turning and drilling and reaming.

The big ends were formed first - using a previously made form tool. The position is set 'by eye' ensuring the lands either side of the hole are equal - hence the ink

A fair result for a home made cutter I'd say - always get a buzz out using a home made cutter when it works well. Simple milling and usual H&T - GFS quenched in oil and not tempered.

First stage ok

The little ends were done in similar fashion - the shank taper turned at 1* via the topslide

This gives a better idea of settiing 'by eye'

To finish the parted off pip a split tapered 'collet', a remnant from the ETA build was used to hold the shank.

It looks like the finished rods disappeared into their respective boxes  ::) - may be tomorrow eh - but here are the last but one pieces - just the shim steel ratchet springs to make and assembly can begin :)

That's it from the ol shid for tonight - it's been a busy two days but tomorrow's a day off. Hopefully these could see some diesel fuel next week

Hope you've enjoyed this latest update

Regards - Ol Tug

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2019, 07:38:10 AM »
Hi Ramon, I feel your pain. On the other side I am happy to be not the only one, who recognized always and again that nobody is perfect.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:03:55 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
Still following along and enjoying  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:

These thing happen  ::) I have neatly parted off the top of a piston when cutting the ring groove  :facepalm:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for you commiserations but actually it was no big deal - as has been said on here before, 'if you haven't made a mistake you haven't made anything'  ::)

Only real downside was wasting a particularly nice piece of very fine grained cast iron but there was plenty left to do the replacements.

Just three small pieces of spring steel shim to machine (not the easiest of materials to work) and I'll be putting them together - could have a run this week maybe  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2019, 01:49:47 AM »
Tug,
Those are some nice looking rods. Whatever grade aluminum that is turns really well with a forming tool.
Are there bushings pressed into the ends?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2019, 02:20:44 AM »
Poor ol’ Tug,
Pushed his finger on the slug
And popped out a plug,
Poor ol’ Tug  :lolb: :lolb:
You didn’t know I wuz a poet did you  8). I’ll have to seriously say that that is some sweet profile turning  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:  Carry on old boy

Whiskey

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2019, 10:40:55 PM »
Hell Whiskey - you're a POET?  :o Shiiiittttt  - Really?? :lolb:

Art - the ali is stated to have good machining capabilities and certainly lives up to that claim. Lovely stuff to machine but try cutting it with a hand hacksaw  :ShakeHead: - it just work hardens so quick it's impossible. It's main use is for mould tooling and is heat stable. I've made many rods from it now and all have performed well. All rods made so far have had phosphor bronze bushings on the big ends but the little ends are left plain. Following some advice regarding hoop stress off a control line forum this time however, I have left the big ends plain on these rods.

Well it's all done - the small spring ratchets proving easier to make than anticipated. A good clean down of the bench are and it's time for the best bit of the build - assembly

And a close up of all the parts for one engine

Hope to have one ready for tomorrow  ;)

Now before I go guys I have something to tell

It's about an old boy with a sound rebel yell.

He's over the water - we haven't yet met,

But I count him a mate, as good as you get.

A damn good machinist -  a bloody good cook

His many fine talents could fill a fair book

But don't tell him this - for he doesn't yet know it

He's a real good friend but he sure ain't a poet

Hows that you old bugger  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Frum tha ol shid - Tug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2019, 11:20:54 PM »
Very impressive parts collection!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
And I think 'poet' and 'whiskey' go together somewhat...  :DrinkPint:

Online sco

« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2019, 08:08:21 AM »
Brilliant work Tug on ALL fronts  ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
There once was an artist called Tug
Whose work would make anyone smug.
But he's far to humble
For even a rumble
He just quietly sups from a mug.

An Oliver Tiger outgrown
Would get the top place on the throne.
A gem of a diesel
We'd all like to needle
Pure power for all to condone

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2019, 09:45:54 PM »
Fantastic work as usual  :praise2:  and as usual, very much looking forward to a video  ;)

But I'm not sure about the prose - I mean - if some of you keep this up - the rest of us will either have to shut completely up, or ....  :thinking:   :headscratch:

Then again - I could probably start to think of it as something like Jason and Jo's banter - all an amusing part off the gallery ....  :noidea:  .... anyway  :cheers: everybody following along and especially out host (on this thread) Tug.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal