Author Topic: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version  (Read 29447 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2019, 02:10:02 AM »
Tug,
Some great looking work there. The cylinder sleeves are a work of art. Its good to see another way to turn an overhung crank I did mine with two centers and turned the crank throw first then the main shaft. Great work!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online sco

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
It is very interesting Tug,. Thanks for taking the trouble to post the steps in such detail

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2019, 08:06:42 AM »
Every day is a school day with your posts, Tug - I hope you realise just how much we value them!

As a clueless newbe I just continue to learn and file it away for future reference. Is there any chance you could do a couple of lines on how you made that port cutter?

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »
Hi Guys, Just finish turned the first crank and set the bearings in the case - looking promising.

Art  - thanks for looking in, there's a shed load of ways of doing these crank pins and they all work fine. I made a smaller version of this fixture when I was at work to make a crank for an ED Racer 2.5 rebuild. It was too small for these larger cranks so made another - it's done all the 5cc engines made so far. Nothing special to ensure except that the vee groove is square in both planes to the bolting face. The first was precision ground  ::) when such facilities were 'available' but the larger is just milled.

Hi Simon - hope you are well and still getting time to work on your mill

AS - Thanks for the appreciation - itself much appreciated. Yes, I'll make a few comments on the cutter next time I post. 'Guys' I know most of you look in but say little for whatever your reason but if there's anything you don't understand or want to know further just ask - if you don't, I won't  ::)

Back later with a bit more on the cranks - hope the next two goes as well as this first one, both bearings well in line with a lovely free spinning shaft - ah a worrying thought has just occurred - these are the first front intake shafts I've made so I hope there's no movement when I cut that intake in the side  :-\

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
Thanks Vince, hope you are well - do you have a new project?

All is well here although the silly season (Summer) has started.  Yes, I have been working on a new project (model) since I finished the Monitor but as it does not have anything to do with model engines I thought it best not to do a write up here.

Vince

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
I certainly enjoy it over the English weather ….  :facepalm: ….
We have been here for a week tomorrow, and it has rained almost the whole time - eh, not completely true - we had a dry spell for DAKS over Duxford when we arrived and for a good long walk around the Bolton Abbey area Sunday. The weather could have been more enjoyable as we are here on motorbikes …. leaving back to Denmark saturday.

Nice to see progress on this and the Jupiter (saw one in the flesh at Duxford)  :cheers:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2019, 09:57:41 PM »
Sounds like you're are still keeping busy then Vince - is one allowed to ask what it is you're working on?

Per - You've certainly picked a good week! We did the Daks at Duxford on the Tuesday - real nice weather in the morning then rain and wind set in just as the Daks took off to make the planned drop  ::) Must have been a real downer for those involved, apparently they had paid a grand each for the privilege  :o

If you are anywhere in Suffolk on your way back home do call in if you want and it's not too big a diversion - send me a PM for a phone no and directions if so - we are usually here most of the time.

No pics tonight but a good day - all cranks now fitted and that worry of potential distortion didn't manifest itself after machining the inlet holes  :) Just the web shape to profile and the screw cutting to do - pics tomorrow along with details of that cutter AS

That's it for tonight - Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2019, 12:35:06 AM »
When I get the chance to research a whole different  sector of “atta boys “ I’ll check back in  8) :ThumbsUp:

Whiskey

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2019, 08:00:55 AM »
Great to see the progress. This is good stuff to see. I like the way that you think about the picture and you seem to put a lot of  information into the one shot. Just awesome for sure. I'm sure that many will be very enlightened by your build posts and photo's . Good stable steel makes a big difference when making a crank shaft.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2019, 10:05:11 AM »
Hello Ramon,

Enjoying following along and viewing your beautiful work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
Hi Guys - thanks for looking in and your comments - cryptic or otherwise  :D

Neil - I've made all the cranks so far using high tensile En24T leaving it in it's as machined state. It is a tough but fairly easy material to machine and produces a good, hard wearing, finish on the bearing surfaces. These engines are never intended to be used in flying mode though I'm sure they would stand up to that requirement if desired - the need for further heat treat is not felt necessary given their intended display use though.

The cranks were set back between centres for finish turning the shaft diameters then held in a collet for drilling the intake hole. Finally set back in the fixture the crank-pins were brought to diameter. The fine tolerance on the bearing areas was achieved by stoning with a pair of fine grade thin flat India stones.

With those ops completed a simple fixture was made to hold the shafts for drilling the inlet

Set at 20 degrees the hole was 'drilled' though first using an FC3 cutter

Then the fixture set on its side to machine the inlet timing area

The webs could then be milled to profile

And finally set back between centres to screw cut the shafts. Nothing special - HSS ground tool and the tool pulled out at the end of the run ie no run out groove for maximum strength.

Incidentally - I don't think I've seen this tip mentioned before on here but if no chaser is available to clean a thread the flanks can be polished to a degree by using the end grain of a piece of wood charged with carborundum paste. Pushed hard into the work the wood will run along the thread until the end.

This 'still' gives a bit better idea

The three finished shafts ready to fit

I thought it best to finish off the steel parts - rounding off the characteristic 'Oliver' ball ended compression screw - the GFS tool, hardened but not tempered, cuts really well. Note this is En1a - not En8 which I had called for on the drawing!

Removing the parting off pip by rotating the tool

Finished comp screws - all screw cut to a tight-ish fit in their respective heads

That's state of play as of today - still raining and more forecast so more 'shid' time  ;D

AS - regarding the cutter -

This was made from silver steel. The blank was turned first relieving the inner diameter to give a slotting saw type relief. The teeth (5) were cut on the mill/dividing head then shaped/sharpened by filing. Heat treated and quenched in oil (not water) but not tempered. This gives maximum hardness and the oil quench offsets any tendency to crack in use.

Once heat treated the teeth are sharpened using a diamond file.

Hope that's all of interest

That's it for tonight - Tug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »
Just beautiful work!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2019, 11:36:52 PM »

Hi Ramon

Fantatic work  :praise2: love to see progress here.

I was slightly surprised not to see you putting something on the was to "catch" any carborundum that might be dropped from the stick - though it would not be much if any ….  :thinking:

Have send you a PM.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2019, 11:45:31 PM »
Hello Ramon,

Agree with what others have said, beautiful work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
Thanks - another piece of learning filed away for future reference! I may even record that one in my CPD record...

I assume the inner diameter relieved on both upper and lower faces?

What oil do you use for quenching. Is it something specific or just any old used 20-50 sump oil?

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal