Author Topic: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version  (Read 29510 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »
They almost look like real castings Tug   :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
Ha Jo, I knew they wouldn't fool such an old casting aficionado as yourself - oh well must try harder I suppose  ;D
Compliment taken as meant Jo  ;) - thanks :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for your kind comments too guys - I'll get all the ali parts done plus I have a few small ali parts left to do for the JLE engine before starting on the rest of the components. Yes the lower faces of the lugs are still masked Jason - three layers of tape.

Roughing out the backplates and cylinders today - but the next few days have several (pleasant) distractions in them.

Back before too long though - Tug

PS The rest of the build ops will follow much the same as before on the previous builds - do you want further step by step coverage or are you happy to just see the result pics. No point in repeating it all if it isn't warranted - or wanted.
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
PS The rest of the build ops will follow much the same as before on the previous builds - do you want further step by step coverage or are you happy to just see the result pics. No point in repeating it all if it isn't warranted - or wanted.

Of course we want to see all of it: Every time there is an opportunity to learn something new   :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »
 :praise2: :NotWorthy: Please show every step, it really helps us learners/amateurs. :old: :DrinkPint: JC
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2019, 09:35:07 PM »
I have followed all your previous builds here and enjoyed them all - and do admittedly have an extra affection for aero, motorcycle and racing engines - and still loves all the "gory details"  ;)

And even if I do understand how you get the surface finish .... but none the less  :praise2: fantastic result.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:49 AM »
Tug,
Those crankcases look great. The sandblasting really is a great effect.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2019, 03:49:09 AM »
Tug, when I get the time, I’ll add all the words and phrases to compliment your God given talents in the metal carving department, but for now, all I can say is that is some awesome shi#te ;).  Still working on the accent  :lolb:. Talk soon,

Whiskey

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »
Morning guys - well I guess all three of you isn't exactly a majority vote but as you insist Jo , how can I possibly refuse  :D

I'll carry on 'as is' then guys  ::)

That said, there's nothing much to show and today we're off for the annual lunch with the model yachties. Be back a bit later then.

Thanks for looking in Whiskey - are you back home yet?  Yep, still working on the accent too but still can't nail that one  :ROFL:

Thanks for looking in guys - always good to hear from you :)

Regards - Ol Tug

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2019, 08:04:10 AM »
Following along Tug.   
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2019, 08:42:40 AM »
I am another vote for continuing to show the steps.  I learn something from each one. 

But I do hope that making three at one time will allow you more machining time compared with the considerable time it must take to prepare your posts.  Your effort in documenting the build and techniques you use is very much appreciated.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
I am another vote for continuing to show the steps.  I learn something from each one. 

#me2

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2019, 09:14:17 PM »
It is good to see a nicely documented build of making engines. Well done Tug.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2019, 02:16:18 AM »
Count me in as well Tug. Keep the posts coming...please.

Bill

Offline David.F

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2019, 09:35:17 PM »
Sorry, haven't dipped in for a couple of days - please keep posting!

David (with bated breath)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »
Hello Guys,

Not been able to get much done this week due to one or two distractions at home plus the first 'plastic model' show of the year (for me)

Ha - I got a 'first' at the East of England show on Sunday. They awarded my 1/48 scale model of an Su-27 'Flanker' best in class - only trouble was it was the 1/32 scale class  :o - it's a big subject as aircraft go and they thought it was 1/32 ::) - at least it was a red face on the judges part and not mine  ;D

Thanks for your kind comments re further posting so, as you seem keen for more  :o - without further ado then.........

After screw cutting the back-plates to a successful fit in each case I finally got to grips with the cylinder heads. Did the bores first and as the second ops would be on a mandrel these were done to another quickly turned plug gauge for consistency. They were drilled through and tapped at this stage too to give access to the mandrel screw

The issue of whether to drill the bolt holes before or after machining the fins was settled some time back. I prefer to drill the holes first as though this does give interrupted cuts as the holes are passed by the tool the burrs are thrown into the holes rather than into the fin gaps. De-burring is then a simple matter of running the drill back through to clear the burrs. The holes are drilled through in two stages to limit run out and simply counterbored using an FC3 cutter

The tool for cutting the fins was just a piece of HSS ground on the off hand grinder to give the required 1.4mm gap. It cut the 6mm deep slots along with the interrupted cuts where it passed the holes without any pick up issues mainly due, I'm sure to using lots of paraffin lube.

The tops were shaped by a series of flats formed by shaving on the side of this 'favourite tool' - I think I've said before but when it comes to grinding tools I'm the most idle of machinists and will just keep tweaking the ends of previously ground tools until little is left save the very tip (which is fundamentally the only part that does the work anyway) This is one that seems to survive that process and retains it's shape for the long term for some reason

The tops were then finished by gentle filing followed by emery, then wet and dry and finally a smoothing with a GarryFlex block and a polish with fine ScotchBrite

Finished ready to fit

That's state of play as of tonight, a start has been made on the Prop drivers and the Prop nuts are next - the last of the 6082 ali so it won't be long before the internals are tackled  :)

Regards for now - Tug
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:38:42 PM by Ramon »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal