Author Topic: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version  (Read 29506 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
Hi Rod - good to see you looking in. Yes they'll be well ready for a run at Forncett (well hopefully in the next few weeks  ;) )

Mike - I don't keep a build log as such - just the posting on here as each stage is reached or daily progress. When I'm in my workshop though I guess I average 6-7 hrs a day. I began these on the 7th of this month.

Thanks for the comment Bill, I'm beginning to realise just how much I enjoy this fetlin'

Well I'm pleased to say that the last op has gone really well - far better than anticipated in fact. The milling proved easier than imagined and the fettling has so far produced two of the three cases

First was to set the venturi true to the spindle. I turned a threaded insert to fit then held it in a threaded bush and centre drilled it after cutting the slot. This was set tight in each case in turn and centred using a ground point (discarded cutter ground to 60 degrees)

The milling was done using the same 1/8 ball nose slot drill in a combination of plunge and rotary motion. The depth was judged purely by eye as small rotary movements were made on the last cut

This was about the maximum removed - far better to leave a bit more on for filing etc than to overdo it

Here's the result after about an hours fettling on each case - mainly done with the rotary burrs and then finished off with rifflers. Though the basic shape is now there they are still not 'finished' - still a few minor machining ops to do on the lugs and the webs before the final surface finish is tackled. The one in the background has just been machined - literally - and will be fettled up tomorrow.

Well that's the latest state of affairs, 'hot of the press' so to speak - thanks for looking in

Hope you're enjoying this as much as I am  :)

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »
Enjoying how these complex shapes seem to just form out of the solid - impressive work Tug!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
Oh we really do   :praise2:    and I'm glad that you are back to enjoying the process again  :cheers:

Offline bpudney

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2019, 01:42:43 AM »
Wonderful work Tug, really envy your skills and approach to the task!!
cheers
Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »
I haven't said much but have been quietly following along.  Tug, your work is more like fine carving than machining!  It's truly remarkable how you whittle these pieces from a block.  I find it just amazing.
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Simon, Per, Bill and Kim - Thanks for you comments guys  :ThumbsUp: glad you are enjoying it.

Just to say I now have three viable cases and have begun the final machining ops - the transfer passages were milled this morning so some pics later.

Right now the weather is just perfect so I'm in the garden for the afternoon but it looks like we do have an ongoing project  :)

Back soon - Tug

Offline Chester

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
I’ve been in the background peering in, you certainly got my attention with your artwork here Tug

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
Thanks Chester - always nice to 'see' a new face on here - hope you are enjoying it.

Apart from boring the front bearing housing the cases should be finished today so a couple of pics later - meanwhile there's some very distracting gloriously warm sunshine - garden time for sure  :D

Back later - Tug

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »
Well guys, pleased to tell, save for boring the front housings which should not be an issue I now have three successful machined cases ready for the rest of the project - it's all gone far better than the imagined pit falls at the outset :) That final op will come later when I start to fit the crankshaft and bearings.

Here's the last four pics of the final bits of machining -

First was to mill the four transfer passages using a cutter made previously for another engine.

The ends of the lugs were milled at a 10 degree angle and then then the R/T swung at 5 degrees to to mill the webs to profile.

With all ops completed it was just a matter of a final fettle on any high spots and then giving the whole thing a going over with a grinding point to accentuate the texture. As referred to previously - if the point is regularly dipped in paraffin this prevents the point loading up. It's run at low speed and allowed to 'judder' over the surface as opposed to removing any material. It perhaps looks far worse than it appears - it's hard to feel the surface distress by finger pressure.

And finally, after a good bead blast, the effect I was hoping for.  The front housing has had a skim to clean up but will be reduced to final diameter when the housing itself is bored.

I have to say that despite previous successful outcomes on machining crankcases from solid I really did not have total confidence that this would be the same - as you can imagine I'm well chuffed with the outcome and it all bodes well for the rest of the project.

If you've been following through from the start - I hope you haven't suffered overload on 'case' images - it'll definitely be something different next time

Thanks for looking in - I shall sleep happy tonight  ;)

Regards - Ol Tug

Offline David.F

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2019, 10:10:40 PM »
Hello Tug et al, I came across this thread quite by chance today and have enjoyed reading about this project.  You put my engineering skills to shame, but I'm learning all the time.  I started building a Sugden Special at school almost 50 years ago, but gave up long before it was completed.  Then a while back I acquired a Myford Super 7 and have been learning since then, making bits and bobs for my models.  I gradually progressed to making bits for model engines and eventually built two Sugdens that ran well.  Please keep up the good work with your 5cc Oliver project - and keep the words and pictures coming!  Regards, David

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »
Hello David - welcome to the forum :hi: You'll find 'all sorts of good things' on here if you have an interest in building engines not just 'diesels' either.

I remember as a lad thinking what it would be like to actually make a 'Sugden'  :o Unlike yourself it would be many years before I actually had a go at making an engine but had had a lifetime of commercial diesel and glows in various guises before a good friend cajoled me into it a few years back.

How about making an introductory post - I 'm sure you will enjoy your stay  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2019, 10:33:55 PM »
Tug, those look simply amazing!  You are a real artist.
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »
Hi Ramon, still following every step, amazing work and outstanding results as usual.

Looking forward to the next steps, no overload here.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2019, 07:09:37 AM »
Another great carving Job, rest should be plain sailing now.

Do you have something under the lugs in the last photo, mask to keep the surface unblasted?

Online sco

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
Tug,

Wow - that finish you have achieved is amazingly uniform!  Thanks for the picture of the burrs that you posted a few days ago that I missed - will look to add some of those to the fettling armory.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal