Author Topic: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version  (Read 29545 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:42:20 PM »
Great start Tug!!

A proper bore gage is on the list of desirables...but they are pricey...granted.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 12:38:51 AM »
Looking good Tug. You might even end up with three engines if things continue to go well  :cartwheel:

Bilk

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 12:51:03 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 05:10:51 AM »
Great stuff to see. I like the centre and pin method for picking up holes as well. If it really needs to be right, I use blocks and indicate to zero that way. Another way is a pre bored hole made with a single point tool down a predrilled hole. Then use a finger DTI to find zero. What I like about the block method, is if I use the same blocks, can then check to see if anything has moved during any operation. You dont have to use gauge blocks, just something that is close enough and you record the numbers.  Great pics etc. Great work as well.

Neil

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:20 PM »
Great stuff to see. I like the centre and pin method for picking up holes as well. If it really needs to be right, I use blocks and indicate to zero that way. Another way is a pre bored hole made with a single point tool down a predrilled hole. Then use a finger DTI to find zero. What I like about the block method, is if I use the same blocks, can then check to see if anything has moved during any operation. You dont have to use gauge blocks, just something that is close enough and you record the numbers.  Great pics etc. Great work as well.

Neil

Dont forget the toolmakers button....
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
Hi Guys,

Dave - I do have dial bore gauges but the housing was (usually is) too shallow to use them. What I'd really like is a set of three point mics to cover these diameters but what I wouldn't like is having to part with the cash to get them - for the use they'd get  ::) So far though this method has proved successful enough  :)

I have used 'blocks', both slips and made for the job on occasion Neil but as with the toolmakers buttons DRO has replaced the need for most part.

Been doing some more roughing this morning thinking that things might have to go on hold while waiting for the tap ordered for the venturi hole. Ordered a 9mm x 1mm yesterday morning from Tracy Tools, it arrived about an hour ago - that's service to be well recommended  :ThumbsUp:

Bill, so far all the 'extra' cases on previous engines have come out well enough to make an extra one. Not going to count chickens here but you might be right ;)

Thanks for looking in Pete, more pics later

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
I don't think it will be a surprise for you Ramon, but I'm already enjoying this project and hoping to start building my first CI engine in a not too distant future.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »
Hi Per - thought you would be here before too long  :) Good to hear you are intending to tackle an engine - do you have anything specific in mind?

Bit more roughing today - just a couple of pics to add. Doesn't seem much for what seemed like quite a bit of concentration but it would be all too easy to put a foot wrong at this stage.

Still using the faceplate, faced off the backs to finished dimension and roughed to OD and ID of the front housing to plus 1mm. This area will be finished on an expanding mandrel for accuracy.

Then removed some of the side waste leaving .5mm to finish. Also set up and used those new taps to do the venturi holes. The scribed ring is to give an idea where the outer diameter will be.

Just a bit more waste removal tomorrow then things will slow down a bit as the finishing cuts start.

That's it for tonight - Tug

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
Fantastic work there Ramon.
There is just so many approaches to the same job it is not funny.
Thanks for the updates and great photo's.
Neil

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
I'm certainly on board for this one :popcorn: :popcorn: I do enjoy watching things carved from solid.
Thank you for the detailing Ramon :ThumbsUp:         

Regards         Terry

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 08:42:18 PM »
Hi Per - thought you would be here before too long  :) Good to hear you are intending to tackle an engine - do you have anything specific in mind?

I plan on doing a few versions of the old Danish Viking 2.5 followed by the extremely rare Viking 3.2 (a bored 2.5) and almost doing one of your specials, a Viking 5.0 - with the exception being I'm only increasing the bore, since the original is extremely long stroke = tall. This way I can use the same stock for all the versions. I got almost all the materials now, but still have to get more tools.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 11:52:41 PM »
Hmmm, more swarfless machining; you must be working with Dave Otto  :lolb:  Looks great old boy. I’ve got three modes of modern technology helping me watch this one  8)

Whiskey

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 08:50:33 PM »
My ollies had offset-bored front journals (a trick I copied for other engines that was worth 300-500 rpm). I don't know if it was an original feature or one of the mods Copeman did. essentially all but the last 50 thou or so behind the front bearing was bored again, but about 5 thou eccentric (in the direction away from the shaft port) so that there was a close fit around the shaft port and a minimal pressure seal at the front. I copied the trick for Sport 40 race engines, and on several cheap engines that suffered pick-up (galling) in that journal.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 10:34:56 PM »
Tug,
I must admit to knowing almost nothing about 2 stroke diesel's, especially the flying sort. I had a control line P51 with a Cox .049 when I was a kid, never got it running more than a couple circles. This sounds like an interesting build and will be following along even if I don't say much.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
I’ve got three modes of modern technology helping me watch this one  8)

You mean yer keepin tabs on me ?  :ROFL:

That's an interesting bit of information AS - I haven't heard anything to that nature before though I can see the possible logic behind it.

John Alcock, on the Barton forum, (whose knowledge in such matters I have a great deal respect for) is of the opinion that the Copeman tuned engines were not enhanced by further machining but 'improved' by hand methods - not always to a great advantage either apparently  :o

I've only had one engine pick up and gall - that was one of the first Racers - going well then just slowed rapidly and stopped dead, the shaft seemingly locked solid. It knocked out easily enough and the merest interference had caused it - easily seen by a dark ring in the bore about a millimetre wide. A polish of the shaft and a tweak with wet and dry eliminated the problem. I've usually made the shafts in the case running area about 0.01 down on diameter since then but of course all previous engines have been rear induction - we'll have to see how this goes. I don't think at this stage I'll try what you are describing though.

I'm not out for making these as 'outright' performers but the usual ME project that hopefully will run and run well - that said I do hope these do live up to the originals.

Art - I think those Cox powered planes must have put more off than they did encourage - bit like the KK Champ over here. Too small really to get the feeling of control line flying - I remember helping my neighbours boy and his friend fly one down in his garden. Terylene 'String' lines that gave no feeling that anything was on the end ::) but we had some fun with it as I recall.

Had to take a step back today to move one forward due to brain fade  :facepalm: - more on that tomorrow with a few more pics

Regards for now - Tug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal