Author Topic: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version  (Read 29469 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »
Be slightly cautious with old sump oil from petrol engines. It can contain sufficient flammables to ignite when used for quenching  :toilet_claw:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2019, 06:42:17 PM »
Be slightly cautious with old sump oil from petrol engines. It can contain sufficient flammables to ignite when used for quenching  :toilet_claw:
Did you learn that from missing eyebrows?   :o   Good tip!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »
You beat me to it Roger  ;)

Yes AS you can use old sump oil but as Roger says it can flash over very quickly - covering it will quickly extinguish it of course but perhaps it's best not to go there in the first place. The oil I use is a hang over from work days - whale oil, probably no longer available but any oil will do. I did cover this a while back in answer to the same question - I use oil as opposed to the recommended quenching in water because of the possibility that the latter may, not necessarily will, lead to cracking (that's based on work experience) - having spent some time making a cutter it's to minimise the risk of that happening. The relief on that cutter BTW is as you surmise - relieved both sides

Thanks for looking in Thomas and Chris, nice to hear from you. Got your PM Per will reply after this.

Been distracted today - shopping  :facepalm2: but have found time this afternoon to turn ten of the twelve cylinder head bolts.

Pistons and the lapping probably next up  :)

From the 'old shid' fer now - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline strictlybusiness1

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2019, 08:11:42 PM »
Beautiful work Ramon. I'm aware of the time it takes when you are making every piece. I have almost gotten things complete on the carbon fiber boat so that I can get back to the engine work. Never seems like there is enough time.......................

Jim Allen

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2019, 11:46:07 PM »
Crank shafts,
I am curious as to why you did the thread towards the end of the processes and not when the crank was
initially blanked out. Was it to make sure that if there was any movement when the inlet cut is made ,
etc that the threads and front bearing surface was still concentric?
I use the threaded area of the crank, to pull the part into the various fixtures . Like on the throw block, but you
used an off set Vee block arrangement , which I do like for making only 1 of something.
The cases have come out very well, along with all of the parts. You have to be very happy with the result.
You will need a 3 engine model to run them on next.
Neil

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2019, 03:56:59 AM »
Sure, I can just see it now, I Ford tri-motor. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2019, 11:13:37 AM »
Hi Guys - Just a quick reply - have some workshop entertaining to do later  :)

Jim - as always thanks for your endorsement - you know how much I appreciate your superb workmanship in what you do - in comparison I just 'play' but I do try  :) I don't say much on your thread as have nothing technical to offer but read as and when and enjoy it all. You have a magnificent craft there - I can't wait to see the results of all your efforts when you finally get it wet  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Time, on a daily basis, is as you say and is now becoming an ever more precious, but seemingly rapidly dwindling, resource  :old:  May your boat 'fly' as fast as it looks.

Neil - I have no specific reason as such - just seems the natural last op I suppose. I have done so on all shafts as such and as mentioned had overlooked the fact that having finished the shafts save drilling the hole and inlet that they may possibly distort enough to spoil the alignment. As it turned out that fear was unfounded and the shafts pushed in as before without any difference. I've not experienced any movement with En24T but always rough in stages as shown leaving around .5mm for final cuts. I always do the finishing on the crank pins last (before the screw cutting that is) to give the best possible relationship with the main shaft. I guess the real reason that's just come to mind is that I don't have a gear box so tend to set up for screw cutting as a last op  :shrug:

The adjustable fixture will do repeat cranks once set up but has to be set up each time unlike something dedicated. It works well and I like it's versatility.

Thanks for looking in - always nice to have something to answer.

I have a 'plastic model' show day out tomorrow but hope to start those pistons on Monday.

Nice idea Art - can't quite see that as an aerobatic model though  ;)

Have a good weekend - Ol Tug

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2019, 03:03:03 PM »
Nice idea Art - can't quite see that as an aerobatic model though  ;)

How about an IMAM R067 triple-engined fighter:

;D ;D

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
I had the privilege to visit Ramon and Sue Saturday along with John - my brother in law.

First we had a good talk about this and that - including old stories, Air planes and much more, while being served a nice cuppa.

Later we had the privilege of being shown "the Ol Shid" and good part of all the fantastic gems Tug has made. First most of all his fantastic "diesel" (CI) engines + the so far unfinished Corlish -  and I can testify to them being even more amazing in the "flesh" than on pictures  :praise2: WOW do not do them justice !!!!

And if that "wasn't bad enough"  ;)  .... I can guaranty you will be extremely impressed with his plastic models - I'm not even sure that we got our jaws with us home again ....

All these models are obviously a labour of love and some has required extreme amounts of time to get to the level they are at.
Tug told John not to be put off by looking at his work, but to enjoy his own, to what ever level he will enjoy making them - very sound advice and very much in the spirit of : It's the journey and not the destination that matters  :cheers:

Again thank you both, Tug and Sue, for a great time - we really enjoyed your company.

Oh - I must admit that though the current project had all it's parts "on the table" (in small bags), we did not talk about them - I will have to follow along as all here. Bonus ; I got to see a very nice tool made by Wiskey  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2019, 10:45:15 PM »
It's getting late, been a long day travelling and talking (as you do at these shows) and I'm a mite tired but have to find time Per (pronounced 'Piaa' BTW ;)) to say that we really appreciate your comments and just how much we enjoyed your's and John's  company too. It's always nice to meet someone whom 'you know' but have never met - a really nice , enjoyably relaxing but all to short few hours.

As you saw, most of what's in the 'ol shid' is under wraps and not on display so it's nice to have the opportunity to get it out once in  a while and let others see it. Glad you liked it - it certainly made the time disappear - it was amazing how just how quickly it flew by.

Hope you had a safe journey home - goes without saying when you and John come this way again you'll be just as welcome to visit  :ThumbsUp:

Regards from us both  :)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »
Well, as hoped for on Monday, I got the initial machining of the pistons ready for lapping  :)

Yesterday was taken up by visiting an old friend in Norwich Hospital so after an early 6am start this morning taking them one at a time each piston was turned then lapped to fit into the bottom end of a liner. This was followed by the lengthy process of lapping the piston into it's respective liner. A time consuming and somewhat wrist aching exercise it was only after the second one had been done that something did not look right  :o yep, you guessed it, the relief had made the crown too thin where it tapers so three pistons are scrap  :facepalm2: and currently three more are halfway machined - normal service will be resumed as soon as possible however ::)

Just goes to show that despite being careful mistakes can and do happen - golly gosh I said (yeh you wanna believe it :lolb:) but hopefully I'll be back to square one tomorrow

From the ol shid - Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2019, 09:17:19 PM »
Shite happens  ;)

Whiskey

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
It sounds as if John and I had a more problem free home travel - first approx 100 minutes from you to the ferry and the approx 860 Km. / 540 miles from Hook van Holland to Aarhus Denmark - than you had with the pistons.
Mind you we had a good number of tank stops as the KTM only holds 10.4 liters ~ 216 Km. / 135 miles. as maximum between them .... and our bums appreciated that too  ::)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
Ah Whiskey - you smooth talkin ol devil, you never fail to impress me with your eloquence and articulation  :ROFL: but to put it in perspective - the friend I visited in hospital has been there since February - though in his eighties he was a very active and fit person, keen on Scottish dancing, recognised as the second oldest (active) long bow archer in England and a keen control line aeromodeller he went from one side of the weekend doing all three to the other and a mini stroke followed by a a more serious one. He's been in hospital ever since, his days of enjoyment unlikely to return - now that is 'shit' happening, all I have to do is make three new pistons   ;)

Sounds like we were both a bit sore assed eh Per  :D - glad you had a safe but I guess, given all that kit you both had, a very tiring journey home.

Hopefully I'll be back on song today guys

Tug

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »
I do apologize Tug; I didn’t mean to overlook the significance of you friend’s state: sadly to say; Dad is in almost the same way. Getting old is a total bitch (ain’t nothing fair about it)  Actually I should have shown some civility and then ribbed you on the pistons. However, you do bring a good bit to the table: in the grand scheme of things; three or two pistons ain’t shite  8). Per: I’m sure my little bit of kit looked like a weed in a flower garden in Tug’s shid.  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: to you guys for two wheeling it (and not on monster highway cruisers either) . Okay, think I’ve clarified and praised accordingly. Now tell Sue that I’m waiting anxiously for the next post and getter done  :lolb:

Whiskey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal