Engines > Your Own Design

The Oliver Tiger Mk III - a 5cc Version

(1/36) > >>

Ramon Wilson:
Hello Guys,

Before work resumes on the Corliss build I have decided to have a slight detour and have a go at making a 5cc version of the 2.5cc Oliver Tiger Mk 3. This beloved British made engine is one I have wanted to add to the others so far made but have baulked so far because of the rather complicated crankcase shape. It will be the first time machining a front induction crankcase from solid has been attempted and though the machining will be similar to the inlet on the rear induction Super Tigre (correct spelling!) made previously the addition of webs and the front bearing housing will add complications – hopefully however with some careful thought and machining, along with a fair degree of fettling, the shape will evolve to give a reasonable rendition of the original casting

These two images give an idea of the task ahead - this is an earlier version of the Mk 3, and is marked on the case as having been tuned by one 'George Copeman' - note the small lightning bolt under the exhaust in the second pic

This is a Russian copy of a later Mk3 produced after the originals ceased production. Various copies - rather 'differing versions' of this engine have been produced in China, Russia, Australia and here in the UK such is it's popularity and one that remains to this day

The Mk 3 in its original production was made in six versions over the period 1953/4 to c 1967/8. You will see that the pillars that take the cylinder head bolts are extended. This is the version to be attempted.

The Oliver engine(s) were hand made and produced at first by John (A) Oliver in a home based workshop later to be joined by his son John (S) who carried on the business until his (John S's) retirement. It is a testament to the quality and performance that they did so in this fashion for some forty plus years. More or less from the start their engines were aimed at the competitor and were firmly targeted to the tethered model car racing world. Many successes in this genre were logged up both here in the UK and on the continent. Eventually a cross over into aeromodelling was made and specifically with the developing sport of control line team racing in mind. Quick and repeating successes in this area lead on to it being the engine of choice for control line combat and it had to some extent similar standing in FAI free flight power for a while too. This success turned this well loved mark of engines into near (if not full in some eyes) legendary status even if the waiting list to own one was a long six to twelve months. The history of the Olivers, both father and son and their many engines are superbly documented in a book by John Goodall – now out of print I believe but well worth sourcing a copy if you have the interest.

As a youngster an 'Olly Tiger' was talked about in such revered terms it was as if it were some kind of magic. I don't think that anyone I knew at that time had ever seen one - but we all knew about them from avid reading of the ‘Aeromodeller' and ‘Model Aircraft’ magazines. It would be years before I actually owned one – a Chinese made version however – and then got to use a real one (loaned by my good friend John L and the one in the first two images) in a VooDoo Team Racer.

What’s prompted this deviation from the Corliss? Well, I don't actually know. I've had a good break from machining on that but the thought of doing this engine – something that goes right back to making the ETA engines – just surfaced unexpectedly! I'm sure some will know how that happens!

A set of parts drawings have now been produced from this basic layout. (Some may note the glaring typo - Tigre instead of Tiger  :facepalm2:  Now duly corrected on the file  ::)

Like the Eta's and Racers they are twin ball raced which calls for some accurate machining to get the races aligned. The material is the usual 6082 (HE30) which is nice to machine without picking up on the tool. The blocks weigh near 600gms each so as usual it will be interesting to see how much is left.

Though the building of the second batch of Eta’s and the Atomatics were covered on here in some detail, the recently built Hunters were not. There has been some request to do so from members on the control line forum I visit, some who have since joined here. It is much easier to post and add images on this forum hence the decision to ‘do it all again' here - those of you who have witnessed it before will, I hope, be tolerant of the repeated coverage of methods used

So, on that note I guess it's time to make a start. As always the cases are first - no case, no project – and, as said, they are not going to be as easy as past ones. I’d like to make a pair so will start with three cases in case of any hiccups. This is not being posted retrospectively but will be covered as it is being done so if things do go totally pear shaped there’ll probably not be a second attempt. That said, and bearing in mind another old phrase, ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained ' I guess it really is time to get to grips with making some swarf.

Well, that's enough for an intro - the 'decks have been cleared' - just need to fire the old mill up and bring those blocks square :)

Back later - Tug

b.lindsey:
Nice project Ramon. I'll be along for the ride  :popcorn:

Bill

steamer:
Watching along.... :popcorn:

10KPete:
I guess the big cats are a favorite for naming engines, and I suspect that  later mfgrs wanted to attract attention by having the name. I'm thinking of Thunder Tiger engines which were very big over here for a long time and, as far as I know, still are. I don't follow the aero engine stuff any more so I'm sure things have changed.

Count me along with the rest of the parade! 

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete

bpudney:
A wonderful choice Ramon!!  As a teenager in the 50s and 60s several of my clubmates had Olivers....sadly I could never afford one!  As a fan, I would have to say that Olivers really are full legends!!
Looking forward to this, will you be putting the drawings up here??
Happy New Year
cheers
Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

[0] Board index