Author Topic: Restoring a Grasshopper Beam Engine and Boiler  (Read 13994 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Restoring a Grasshopper Beam Engine and Boiler
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »
The workmanship looks very nice I agree. I especially like the flywheel and how it is constructed too.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:03:51 PM by b.lindsey »

simplyloco

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »
More pics as requested!
20190130_184957 by inkaboat, on Flickr

20190130_184706 by inkaboat, on Flickr

20190130_184611 by inkaboat, on Flickr

20190130_184545 by inkaboat, on Flickr

That'll do for now. :LittleAngel:
John
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:15:32 PM by simplyloco »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 09:03:00 PM »
Very nice John  :)

What is that boiler you have in the right side of your last photo? It looks to be a decent sized item - did you make it?

simplyloco

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 09:13:44 PM »

What is that boiler you have in the right side of your last photo? It looks to be a decent sized item - did you make it?

Yes, it is a 4" diameter Scotch boiler constructed by me recently from a KN Harris design. It is waiting for some Loctite hydraulic sealant to fix the tiniest of leaks at 100 psi! :Mad:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:03 PM »
Hey again John,

Thanks for the extra photos, love that engine.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:03 PM »

Yes, it is a 4" diameter Scotch boiler constructed by me recently from a KN Harris design. It is waiting for some Loctite hydraulic sealant to fix the tiniest of leaks at 100 psi! :Mad:

Thanks John, I'd be interested in seeing it in action  :)

simplyloco

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:34 PM »

Thanks John, I'd be interested in seeing it in action  :)

I meant to do a build thread on it but you know how it goes... :facepalm:

DSC00669 by inkaboat, on Flickr

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 11:27:01 PM »
It looks to be an impressive piece of work, any chance you could show it in operation once it is finished please?

I want to build a small boiler but something a lot simpler than yours.  :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
you mention Loctite Hydraulic Sealant - have not heard of that one, what will it be sealing, is it just for threaded fittings or can it do other leaks too?   :thinking:

simplyloco

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »
you mention Loctite Hydraulic Sealant - have not heard of that one, what will it be sealing, is it just for threaded fittings or can it do other leaks too?   :thinking:

A friend of mine is arranging it. Apparently the boiler is partly evacuated with a vacuum cleaner(!) and a drop of this stuff placed on the leak point. It goes in and seals the leak. My friend's boiler was tested afterwards at 200 psi: no leaks!
I'll report back when it's done.
John

simplyloco

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
I dismantled the boiler today. I will have to dispose of the asbestos insulation and find a replacement. The shell is in perfect condition, no signs of weeping or damage. They don't make 'em like they used to! The cast brickwork effect is virtually obscured by globby paint, so that will have to be removed.  There's 'patina' and there's 'a dogs' breakfast', and this boiler casing is the latter... ::)
John
20190131_153455 by inkaboat, on Flickr

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »

A friend of mine is arranging it. Apparently the boiler is partly evacuated with a vacuum cleaner(!) and a drop of this stuff placed on the leak point. It goes in and seals the leak. My friend's boiler was tested afterwards at 200 psi: no leaks!
I'll report back when it's done.
John
I looked around online, and found the loctite 545 sealant, meant mainly for threaded joints in hydraulic systems, but sound like it might help in other pinholes - very interested to see your results on that. If that is the version, it appears to be available at places like Amazon and some auto parts chains.

simplyloco

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:30 AM »
Now that I know that it works, it is time to make it look pretty! The inlet aperture is 3/8" x 26 and pretty wobbly, so I decided to convert it to 5/16" x 32 to bring nearer to scale.
20190131_165456 by inkaboat, on Flickr

I made an adaptor to take a 3/16" pipe, and silver soldered it in,  and here is the result. A little neater I think!
20190131_173840 by inkaboat, on Flickr
The trouble is, of course, that now the valve chest cover is cleaned up after soldering I will have to polish up the rest of this lovely machine... :whoohoo:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:58:00 AM by simplyloco »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
The trouble is, of course, that now the valve chest cover is cleaned up after soldering I will have to polish up the rest of this lovely machine... :whoohoo:

Some how we could see that coming  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
Are you going to chuck the whole engine in the acid to get that matching pink shade of the "cleaned up" chest cover or clean the pink off the cover :LittleDevil:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal