Author Topic: Vise Handle Question  (Read 4760 times)

toolznthings

Re: Vise Handle Question
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »
Hi,

If it has a magnet in the handle, that's going to be a pain. Slivers and chips stuck on the handle that you are going to hold, not so good ? IMO  :)

Offline Jack

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
This is what I made for my Kurt vise. I have a large pile of junk and a lot of time on my hands, plus $20.00 is just to expensive for me.

Jack
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:17:30 PM by Jack »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »
Bill, I have their earlier version and love it. I also have a Kurt speed handle like Steamer showed and that one I rarely use. +1 on it not getting hung on anything when moving the table.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 06:52:28 PM »
Rev., I had a speed handle too but had worn to the point of being a sloppy fit, bent handles, etc.   I bought a lot of them for the university machine shop too over the years for import Kurt
clone vises and there is nothing wrong with them, was just interested to see if this might be a better mousetrap. I am sure the Kurt speed handle is a nice one but last I looked they were very proud of it at $157  :o

Bill

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 11:16:40 PM »
Yup, but I bought mine through the company 🙈😎  The one from Edge( almost what you showed)  is sweet. Their first edition didn’t have the set screw/ locking feature on the “fast end” . Mine stays on the vice now “permanently”. If’n I really need to choke the living shite outta something, I go to the “slow end” and give it a whack wit da dead blow.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 12:09:15 AM »
The one in the link is from edge Cletus. It's just black instead or their anodized red for some reason.

Bill

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 02:01:07 AM »
I was under the impression that leaving the handle on the vise was a no-no.  I hit the handle by mistake more than once and lost a set-up before I finally got in the habit of taking it off.  For faster adjustment, I angle the swivel handle out and crank the knob in smaller circles.  My gripe is that the hex is too sloppy so it takes two hands to keep it from falling off.  I need to work out some kind of detent.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
Bill, if you look at this video from 22.15mins he touches on the same idea :-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxWQikfBhUc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxWQikfBhUc</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »
Great video. I ended up watching the whole thing rather than just skipping ahead to the vise handle. But indeed, the same concept. Thanks for posting this!

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »
The handle arrived today via priority mail. A bit more compact that I expected but that is a good thing. I was thinking it was aluminum, but no, looks to be cast but not sure of the material...zinc alloy perhaps. The fit on the vise's hex is good and even at the extended position, moving the vise in and out is pretty rapid, so it will likely stay in that position. The magnet is barely strong enough to hold it vertically on  the mill table...good idea just not a good execution of the idea. The magnet is removable though and will probably do that to keep it from attracting ferrous swarf. All in all, I am happy with it so far , just need to give it a try now actually milling something.

Bill

Edit: I went back and looked at the description and it does say aluminum. Sure does feel heavier than that though, but I will defer to the OEM description.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:40:30 PM by b.lindsey »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:51 PM »
Well...my handle finally showed up today.....

It's together, I'll post a pic when it's on...but time for some supper!...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:25 PM »
You’ll love it. The inner hex is nice what for them delicate parts you don’t want to really Gronk down on.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
Cletus, I think got the spider handle instead if I recall. I think his hex is smaller than 3/4"

Bill

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
Bill, I have the same handle you’ve shown only mine is red and doesn’t have the locking screw. I guess I should have said that the other hex what for rapid moves is what is nice for the delicate parts

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 12:34:17 AM »
Yeah, I agree Cletus, though for now mine is in the outer hex, the vise can still be moved fast enough but after using it a while I will decide. It's easy enough to move in any case.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal