Author Topic: Embarrassingly stupid question!  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Embarrassingly stupid question!
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
You know how it is with those of us who never did this stuff for a living - we have knowledge and experience, but only of the limited range of things we've actually done. So as soon as we get to something basic, but previously not done, we have to ask embarrassingly basic questions. At least that's MY excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

The part I'm trying to make is very, very simple. It's a rotor adaptor for an electric ducted fan unit to go from a 4mm motor shaft into a 6mm bore in the fan. It is a very simple bit of turning that looks like this:

I'm making one because (for reasons too tedious to detail) I want to make a steel one rather than the stock dural one. The fits need to be quite good to preserve balance because the fan unit does around 140,000rpm (for example there are two grub screws simply because the vibration when only one is fitted is enough to wreck the motor bearings), but it's still a very simple thing to make.

So I made one and I reamed the 4mm hole. It's a superb fit on the shaft BUT it's a blind hole - a 6mm hole in a shaft that has an M6 thread has to stop well short of the thread for obvious reasons. I realise now that reaming a blind hole is something I've never done before - the reamer appears to have a taper over the first 6mm or so, because the shaft jams before the end of the hole. I've looked around and a I can't see anyone offering "bottoming reamers" so am I looking in the wrong place or is there some other technique for doing close-fitting blind holes?

I know it's a stupid question, but what am I doing wrong? :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

AS

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: Embarrassingly stupid question!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
You might even find it better to use 3 grub screws at 120* so that it is easier to centre the shaft. You could drill the full length of the shaft maybe 2 mm to get rid of some weight.
Ian S C

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
The simplest solution would be to bore it to size.   Otherwise a a custom D bit would do the job.    I would make the bore first,  and then turn a 4mm mandrel and mount it on and turn the OD.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
Hello Allen

A hand reamer has a long taper lead in to align the reamer with the hole.
A machine (chucking) reamer has almost no taper lead in, as it relies on the lathe to achieve the alignment.

A machine reamer may be the answer

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
Peter you need to effectively bore the hole... (cheap  ::) ) purchased boring bits don't go that size but D-bits do. So you need to make yourself a D-bit or alternatively find a smaller milling cutter and use that as the edge to bore the hole.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
you can get tiny boring bars (see attached)

at 140000rpm concentricity and straighness become super important . I'd turn OD, thread and ID in one op

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
I can't see myself accurately boring a 4mm hole 20mm deep in steel with a boring bar - the tool would surely be nowhere near stiff enough? Would a D-bit be more accurate than just using a drill?

I'll have a look at chucking reamers - perhaps using the hand reamer first and then the chucking reamer to finish the bottom of the hole. I should have mentioned that the other end of the part is bored and tapped M3 to take a screw that retains the spinner cone, so I'm not that concerned about the weight.

Thanks for the advice!

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
A 4mm end mill would be better than a drill.

Jo

P.S. How's work, still plenty of time for Netflix  :embarassed:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
Allen,

Jo got in first :ROFL:

You could always try reaming the hole with a 4.0 mm end mill in the tail stock and see if the fit is good enough for your needs.

Alternatively, a D bit will also produce an accurate hole. You can make them any size you want

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »
I can't see myself accurately boring a 4mm hole 20mm deep in steel with a boring bar - the tool would surely be nowhere near stiff enough? Would a D-bit be more accurate than just using a drill?

I'll have a look at chucking reamers - perhaps using the hand reamer first and then the chucking reamer to finish the bottom of the hole. I should have mentioned that the other end of the part is bored and tapped M3 to take a screw that retains the spinner cone, so I'm not that concerned about the weight.

Thanks for the advice!

AS

I must have missed the 20mm piece...sorry about that....
Damned ijjit!

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »

I'll have a look and see if I have one in stock - otherwise I suppose a trip to Merrow will be needed... ;)

P.S. How's work, still plenty of time for Netflix  :embarassed:

Work's OK - still mainly focused on the Head of Marriott Points Acquisition role, but being drawn more into a proper job on Tempest :-X

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »

Probably because I forgot to mention it first time around - I was probably saving the best bit for later... ::)

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »

I'll have a look and see if I have one in stock - otherwise I suppose a trip to Merrow will be needed... ;)

I have a couple in stock.. I buy in bulk from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-10MM-Solid-Carbide-Straight-Shank-4Flute-End-Mill-CNC-Milling-Cutter-Drill-Bit/192276901614?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=492208265708&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649  ;)

As Eric is now car less he likes visitors, especially visitors who have money to give him  ::)

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »

Probably because I forgot to mention it first time around - I was probably saving the best bit for later... ::)

AS

2mm bore   I drilled, bored to reamer size, and then finished with a tool makers reamer.   but a D bit would be the choice for a blind hole

Damned ijjit!

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
Which fans are running 140kRPM these days? Seems you have a few ideas to try. I'd just buy one, preferably collet type.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal