Author Topic: Using 3D printer to make casting patterns  (Read 2644 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Re: Using 3D printer to make casting patterns
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:48:54 PM »
Yes, Jim, Anet A8 printer. I've had it since a year ago last May. I don't have anyone close that shares my interest in casting, machining, or 3d printing. Thus I'm mostly self taught with the help of numerous forums and youtube vids of course.
You are me 18 months ago. so, if you need help, I'm here.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QghKCH-ihT0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QghKCH-ihT0</a>

This video might give you an idea what is possible.

Dave

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QghKCH-ihT0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QghKCH-ihT0</a>

This video might give you an idea what is possible.

Dave

Match plates make it all so much easier...but are a bit more work.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline AOG

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 04:24:42 AM »
Match plates should be doable on a 3D printer. With a big enough printer you can split the pattern in mesh mixer add a solid plane to be the match plate and print the whole thing in one piece.

Tony

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 07:13:14 AM »
may be easier to glue the printed patterns to a flat board rather than print the board. It would make it easier to refine the surface of the print as you can get to the edges easier and means you don't need a printer with such a big work envelope.

You could still print holes in the two halves so that they can be located on the board and even put more than one part on the board.

Also depends how many of a part you want, for a one off it may not be worth it but as the quantity goes up it becomes a better option.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
may be easier to glue the printed patterns to a flat board rather than print the board. It would make it easier to refine the surface of the print as you can get to the edges easier and means you don't need a printer with such a big work envelope.

You could still print holes in the two halves so that they can be located on the board and even put more than one part on the board.

Also depends how many of a part you want, for a one off it may not be worth it but as the quantity goes up it becomes a better option.

100 percent agree    Match boards are just heavy birch plywood.   They need to be flat.    What I have found, is that few foundries...near me anyway....want to deal with loose patterns.  Their operations are centered around their equipment, and less so on the skills of locating a pattern and runners ect on the fly.    All they want to do is ram it up and send it down the rollers to the next station.    The match plate, with runners and fill funnel already in place allows for that.

When I made that pattern, I got in touch with the foundry, and the owner gave me 1 match board.    ( 1" birch ply cut to a specific shape) and he said cut one for every pattern I had.   He then laid out where the patterns needed to go on the board.    He said mount them there, and then bring it to us.   He put the runners and the fill funnel ect on the match plate.     I then showed up on the day they were going to pour, and watched as it went through all their machinery and finally to the "pouring room".

I only made 2 sets of castings....one is on the shelf in the shop, the other is in my boat!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »
Cores

Round cores for iron castings come pre made in 1/8 inch increments.   Remember that when you're making your patterns

at the time of my efforts, there was no such thing as pre made aluminum cores..    That my have changed....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 11:57:09 AM »
All quite doable and done before.
I have had a 3d printer for 4 years and 6 years experience as a pattern maker in a boat yard.
so a bit of a learning curve.
3D cad  123d design of F360.
make sure you have draft and shrinkage.
and of course fillets and rounds on most corners
yes a pastern board a good idea.
Remember gates and  sprues
and ventilate

You can do lost pla for one of parts.
And you will have to do some fill and sanding.
like others have said make sure your printer is tuned  easy with open source.
I expect someone hear can help with issues that come up . do not hesitate to ask questions. 

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »
If dealing with a foundry  contact them at the beginning of the design stage. Found out how they price things out . this can save you in the long run is it buy the pound by the mold or some combination.
also they may have a design guide that will save time money and redesigning the patterns.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
Good advise Jim,   I spoke with Pete Lyons of Nashua Foundry.   I brought him the drawings of the patterns, he commented, and I went away and made them.   I then brought the patterns to him, and he commented, and gave me a match plate.

He was extremely helpful, and eager to help

Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal