Author Topic: Using 3D printer to make casting patterns  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
Using 3D printer to make casting patterns
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »
 I am awaiting the arrival of a new 3D printer. Now I have no experience with one but found a good deal I could not pass up and pulled the trigger. My initial thoughts are to use it to produce casting patterns for some of our model engines. Has anyone else had the same thoughts? And if anyone here has actually done this, what were the results? Difficulties? I'd like to to hear them.

BC1
Jim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Using 3D printer to make casting patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »
I am of a similar mind.   I also have a printer that I am considering using in this way.     Yhere is printable wax available.    So lots to talk about as far as methods.
Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:03 PM »
Jim, Dave,

Will you be able to make a 3D print of your casting pattern with all the required draft angles and a sufficiently smooth surface to allow them to be withdrawn from the sand mould box?

Just thinking out loud

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »
Mike,

Being new to this technology, I can't say for certain, but see no reason to think that any required draft angles could not be achieved. The CAD programs required to make the code will be another challenge but one that is doable. As far as the surfaces of the molds being smooth, yes. I have seen pieces that were done and the texture was smooth as glass. There is a great deal of learning involved and it will be fun. Limitless possibilities as it it were.

BC1
Jim

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
I will say yes, you can use the 3d printer to make parts that you can use for sand casting, or make parts that you can use for lost pla casting or even use the wax filament in a similar way to lost pla.

sand casting method with the parts would require you to add the draft to the parts and do some sanding.

currently I am doing this right now, the printed parts work fine, it is just my technique and ability to assemble the sand castings properly that I am having difficulties with.
but simple parts without complex cores should work fine.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:10:11 PM »
I have 3d printed casting patterns. I start by drawing the pattern in Fusion 360. I can add draft if required and even split patters or make multi-piece patterns. I have not cast any yet as health problems and cold weather have kept my foundry in storage.
So far, I have printed parts for a vertical and a horizontal oscillating steam engine, flywheels, and the body of a lathe slotting tool that was featured in the first issue of "Model Engineer's Workshop". Rob Wilson(I think) did a build log or a magazine article of the same slotter with the body cast in brass or bronze.
I was redrawing the Gingery Shaper to make the patterns also, but I currently have a rather poor set of wooden patterns for it.
Lots of folks doing 'lost pla' casting but I'd rather keep the pattern and be able to reuse it. The patterns don't have to be printed with high infill either, just enough to withstand tamping of the sand in the mold.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »
Jim, Dave,

Will you be able to make a 3D print of your casting pattern with all the required draft angles and a sufficiently smooth surface to allow them to be withdrawn from the sand mould box?

Just thinking out loud

Mike

Yes    the only chalenge is finish for sand castings.  But that is addressable with some glazing compound and some sandpaper.   I cant speak to the lost PLA or Lost wax met him ods though.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
I have 3d printed casting patterns. I start by drawing the pattern in Fusion 360. I can add draft if required and even split patters or make multi-piece patterns. I have not cast any yet as health problems and cold weather have kept my foundry in storage.
So far, I have printed parts for a vertical and a horizontal oscillating steam engine, flywheels, and the body of a lathe slotting tool that was featured in the first issue of "Model Engineer's Workshop". Rob Wilson(I think) did a build log or a magazine article of the same slotter with the body cast in brass or bronze.
I was redrawing the Gingery Shaper to make the patterns also, but I currently have a rather poor set of wooden patterns for it.
Lots of folks doing 'lost pla' casting but I'd rather keep the pattern and be able to reuse it. The patterns don't have to be printed with high infill either, just enough to withstand tamping of the sand in the mold.

Chuck, if it isn't too much trouble for you, I'd sure like to have a look at your fusion drawings and code etc. for those oscys.  :happyreader:   Like I said, its going to be a whole new adventure. The drawing, programming, printing…. and on and on.

BC1
Jim

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:50:04 PM »
Jim, are you set up with fusion?
Here's a teaser, pic's of the 2 piece pattern for the lathe slotter pattern.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
There is a lot more to it than just sending the code to the printer. You have to fine tune the printer to get a decent surface finish unless you want to fill, sand, and fill again.
Then there is the matter of drawing the object you want to cast. I did the home work, learned Fusion, built the printer, etc. It was a year or so in making my first engine pattern, not counting the years before learning to cast.
I cast in aluminum, haven't progressed to brass or bronze yet.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 09:15:32 PM »
No, that is another thing that I have to get comfortable with in this whole thing. Those are some nice looking pieces. Is that an Anet Mk8 printer you are using?

BC1
Jim

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »
Jim,

Good luck with the learning curves. Hope they are not become too steep.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
3d solid modeling is not a problem for me anyway.  Programming the printer requires some trial and error, but isnt that hard...and new to it.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:59:57 PM »
USPS just rolled up and delivered my printer  :whoohoo:  Ill more than likely be up all night now reading and assembling the beast. Assembling and fine tuning will be the easy part. Learning Fusion 360 and all that is going to be the REAL challenge.  :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :o :o :zap: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 11:22:10 PM »
USPS just rolled up and delivered my printer  :whoohoo:  Ill more than likely be up all night now reading and assembling the beast. Assembling and fine tuning will be the easy part. Learning Fusion 360 and all that is going to be the REAL challenge.  :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :o :o :zap: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

I can help a bit with Fusion360 if you get stuck.  I used it at work for CAD and specifically CAM.   

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal