Author Topic: Not a model engine  (Read 28392 times)

Offline GordonL

Re: Not a model engine
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
I don't think that I could get my hands clean enough to do that. My hands are in mourning, always edged in black.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »
Thanks Guys  :)

It is not the first time you post needlework here, as far as I remember ….  :thinking:

Yes I have posted them before but I have only just finished the one of the tree rat so I thought that I would show the other two in the set - I have another two to go (Deer family and Duck family & Heron). Once I have finished the set I will look to have frames done and then they can go in my bedroom  :-X

The use of squares with some sort of indication of colour is standard but there are thousands of different colours so every kit uses a different set of symbols. The hardest part is making sure that the crosses all go the right way: doing bottom left to top right puts that thread on the bottom, then bottom right to top left puts that thread over the first.. if you swap over  :Doh: You I can see it  :ShakeHead:

Back to the workshop time  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 02:05:21 PM »
Back when I was doing this I had looked into various programs that will convert pictures into cross stitch patterns similar to: http://www.pcstitch.com/#

I never pursued this but it is interesting from the viewpoint that things near and dear to us (engines, locos, even venues like old buildings housing pumping engines) could be converted into usable patterns.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »
Thanks Bill,

Many years ago I had something similar but no idea what happened to it  :noidea: when I run out of kits to make I will have to buy  :o another copy.

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
Hello Jo

That must have been the same program you used to digitise a photo of my Fowler ploughing engine, when you knitted me this sweeter. Must have been almost thirty years ago.

How time flies

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
 :embarassed:

I had one of those  :headscratch:

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »
Clever you for making two.

The one you gave me lasted for many years until it finally wore out.

A belated thank you

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 03:34:59 PM »
You are welcome Mike, based on when I did them I laid the pattern out by hand  ::)

I recall someone else had one I did with a lorry on it and there was two of those as well  ;)

Jo

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
Very lovely Jo.  :ThumbsUp: You're like Chris and have figured out the secret to having more hours in the day than the rest of us.  ;)

My mother did what she called "counted cross stitch" which looks like what you're doing. After she passed away, I found a suitcase completely full of pieces she'd done. We have a bunch of them framed and on our walls. Wonderful keepsakes!

Years ago I did a needlepoint that I found quite enjoyable. It's not surprising that "machinist types" enjoy this kind of work .....what with the precision and logic involved.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
Jim, I did some of that too many years ago, but it seems to fall out of favor as cross stitch became more popular. I had designed and done a petit point (needlepoint on a finer gage) oriental rug which I put away and finally gave to my granddaughter as an area rug for the dollhouse I did for her a few years back. I think you are right, the vastly different hobbies still have commonalities for us machinist types.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
Jim, I did some of that too many years ago, but it seems to fall out of favor as cross stitch became more popular. I had designed and done a petit point (needlepoint on a finer gage) oriental rug which I put away and finally gave to my granddaughter as an area rug for the dollhouse I did for her a few years back. I think you are right, the vastly different hobbies still have commonalities for us machinist types.

Bill

Makes me think about the "latch hook rug" era back in the seventies. Every shopping mall seemed to have 2 or 3 Latch Hook stores.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »
Yeah and remember record stores??  :ROFL:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
Yeah and remember record stores??  :ROFL:

Bill
Thats where Guinness sold their world records!   :Lol:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
I kept looking at my embroidery stand extensions   :facepalm2: This morning I realised (as the plastic had become brittle ) that I must have been using them for over 10 years like that  :-X

So this morning I took the plunge  :toilet_claw: and got out some brown stuff    :paranoia: I am not sure about the height yet so I have left the joining studs long and I hope to find some bits of 30mm chromed tube about 250mm long to replace those 19mm bits of tube.

Brown stuff    :-[

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »

I hope to find some bits of 30mm chromed tube about 250mm long to replace those 19mm bits of tube.

Brown stuff    :-[          Chocolate ...... ????  

Jo

Hope 30mm is to size and 25mm won't do .. Just come back from the tip .... dumped two ( similar ) of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-round-wardrobe-rail-polished-chrome-1219-x-25mm/2370v

Didn't think they were much good  ERW tube ..  :noidea:

Together with a heap of those weird 6mm belts & pulleys ...  :headscratch:

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal