Author Topic: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine  (Read 15723 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 09:31:11 PM »
one more pic

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
 I like that flywheel. Nice work!

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 12:23:15 AM »
Great job on the flywheel hub and that con rod bearing, looking terrific!
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline bjo

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
I LOVE that last photo of it assembled!  ;D

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »
Thanks gents,    When I looked closer at the real engine I realised that the con rod bearings are not retained by the usual gib and cotter arrangement :ShakeHead: The joint is retained by two gibs and a central cotter with a threaded end. This thread worked out at 6ba, the cotter end was not much bigger so it was  a bit of an education for me to be on such a scale.....OK, I realise that 6ba is HUGE for a lot of you but come on, I have just finished a 4" scale lump!      Terry

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
Hello Terry,

That makes for a nice arrangement.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
After yet another long interuption of "shed" time I have managed a little bit of progress.  Not being happy with the first set of slidebars I have made a new set, progressed the bed and started on the cylinder.  I cut out the bed for the cylinder and forgot to allow for the flanges :facepalm2:
in spite of having made a set of drawings :old: Had to cut the correct size aperture AFTER I had put some primer on. I will be following Jason's excellent system for the cylinder. It's good to be back making swarf again.   
Something that I have noticed is that when using small cutters on my mill with the knee raised, it is hard to see the work. Visibility is so much better on the "quill" type mills that so many of you use.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 10:23:49 PM »
I have been looking at my part made belt pulley, as yet still in component form. I was going to ask for ideas to hold it all concentric when I silver solder it.   Recent posts by Mike makes me think third hands will be worth making. :thinking:  The rim will be split in line with the hub to enable it to be fitted inboard of the flywheel.             All suggestions welcome :help:      Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 07:15:58 AM »
Bit late now but the trick is to leave the hole in the hub undersize and then you can mount the completed wheel/pulley in the lathe and bore out the hub to get a nice true fabrication.

As it is I would mount a post onto a flat plate that the hub can be clamped to and then clamp the rim concentrically around that and build up the wheel then solder. You need to watch out for the rim expanding as it heats up.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
Thank you Jason,    The hole is actually undersize by about 50thou.   Probably not enough...I suppose I could possibly sleeve it.  I'd not considered rim expansion,   cheers for that.                 Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
Are your spokes threaded into the hub or just loose? If loose work round the rim first and allow to cool then do the hub, this will allow the rim to expand and then shrink back into place.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 09:48:03 AM »
spokes loose in hub,  planned to silver solder them.      Cheers Jason.            Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
Earlier this week I had some spare time so got to the workshop. In spite of Jason's lovely fabricated bronze cylinder design ( and my lack of adequate heat source) I have changed my mind again and following prototype with a cast iron one. Set some CI bar in the 3jaw, faced one end and took a light skim along the length to ensure no hard spots that would catch me later. Into the saw to cut almost to length then back in the 3jaw to drill and bore to 0.005" below finished size. My next move is to mount on a mandrel with tailstock support and machine the outside profile. My photos always seem a bit blurred so I took extra care this time and got in close and steady. After three failed attempts to upload :Mad: I contacted admin.  Our ever helpful Jo pointed out correctly that my pic sizes may be too big :facepalm2:   So no pics with this post I'm afraid and some camera sorting on the agenda

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
Camera sorted :whoohoo:(I hope)           A bit more progress, I set the cylinder onto a mandrel and machined the outside profile. Next onto the Raglan to machine the flat for the port block. This will be screwed together similar to Chris's winding engine.
I've added a pic of my scheme to build the drive pulley. The intention is to cut a shallow groove in an old faceplate in which to clamp the rim. The hub will be on a mandrel fitted to an M3 arbor in the lathe spindle. I hope this will enable a concentric wheel. :thinking:         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
Back to the cylinder and time to make the end covers. On this engine both ends have similar castings but only one has a hole in!  A simple turning job although I struggled a bit with a lack of  suitable cutters, most being too big.....investment reqd. I shall machine both before I set up for the stud holes, etc.       Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal