Author Topic: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine  (Read 15722 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:32:40 AM »
Hi All,     Having abandoned my "New project mill engine"  thread, I have decided to do the job properly!  I've  been lurking in my dark but dry cellar with a nice traditional drawing board. ( I can hear the groans from all the CADers).  I have enough detail now to make a start on obtaining materials rather than adapting the parts to suit scrap bin contents :ShakeHead:   Although a start has been made progress will be slow. As much as I love this hobby there are many demands on my time..........family, wife's business, three days a week at work on full size road steam, caravan, etc....Often when there is time I'm too knackered to use it :old:      so be patient friends.

Regards to all               Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: S. Charlesworth slide valve mill engine
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »
Will you be able to salvage any of the parts already made or are you going to start again from scratch?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »
That certainly fits the description of a "man cave" Terry, but I must say it looks to be a cozy space to think and draw. Doesn't look too dark from the picture and as long as its dry and warm, it looks quite inviting  :D

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
Hello Terry,

That looks like a neat place and setup to do all the design and drawings. I will be on board.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
... I've  been lurking in my dark but dry cellar with a nice traditional drawing board. ( I can hear the groans from all the CADers).  ...

Hey Terry, let the CADers groan :) When you're doing something for fun, you might as well do it in a way you enjoy!

Looks like a nice cozy space you have there!
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes it is a cosy space but a little short on headroom. Our heating boiler lives there so quite warm at the moment.   Jason I have scrapped all the  previous bits apart from the flywheel.       Terry

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 11:14:56 PM »
Pencil & paper?  Nah, it'll never work,   :ROFL:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 01:17:17 PM »
Drawing system contempary to the subject matter and suitable for my abilities :) :atcomputer: :shrug:

Postman arrived today with some goodies.   A couple of just- in -case items for the Burrell AND some metal to start my mill engine. Hope to make a start as soon as time permits.            Terry

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
Terry,
If you can do it on a drafting board all the more power to you, it's probably becoming a lost art as well. I cant do on paper what I can in cad. Knowing my abilities... :)
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
Having checked my drawings a few times I discovered some glaring errors :embarassed:  Redrawn and treble checked the moment came to start on metal. There  was not much  spare time available so I made the split brasses for the crankshaft main bearings.   Soldered two rectangular lumps of brass together, squared up in the mill, then set up in the four jaw. I machined the outside profiles of both, then drilled a midges undersize for the shaft, then parted off. They are now  in the pickle.  All easy stuff for most of you, but I'm chuffed to be back in the shed.....even for short periods.          "One small step..etc"                 Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
Very  nicely done!  Keep on 'steppin'!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »
Am I ever going to make progress on this engine?   Having had to dismantle my mill and remake feedscrew nuts etc, I decided today to start on the fabricated power take off pulley.  Got some bar stock set up with the rotary table set on edge at 90 degrees. It was clamped to the mill table by three tee bolts and straps. In spite of very gentle feed (1/8" endmill) the set up insisted on slowly moving off centre. :cussing:
There is insufficient room to do much so I have decided to fit a key to the base of the rotary table so that it cannot turn. All my kit worked OK building the big Burrell..................trying not to get annoyed........
Terry

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 05:35:43 PM »
It's bad enough when one self makes mistakes - but it is really annoying when the tools are playing up  :censored:

I hope that you get everything back on track - if only one bit at a time  :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
Cheers Per,    All sorted now I hope. I have made and fitted a key to the rotary table base that is a snug fit in the mill table tee slots.  While I was at it I put one one my big milling vice. Should have done it years ago. Every thing stays square now. :) Managed a bit of gardening as well. ..so a good day......off to the real job tomorrow :(         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 09:29:41 PM »
I cannot believe that it is several months ago that I last posted on this build :o  Things got really busy on the full size Burrell at "work" and I have been getting home worn out :old: I have also had a spell in hospital to remove a nasty tumour. All is well now and I am venturing back to the shed. Made parts for the belt pulley which  as yet is not soldered, progressed the fabricated base and started the con rod with it's bearings. As usual all basic stuff so just a few pics.      Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal