Author Topic: Use of Colour on Drawings  (Read 2961 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Use of Colour on Drawings
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »
I like option 2.

Option 1 is also good, but personally, I give 2 the edge.

Don't like option 3.

Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
Well said Pete :ThumbsUp:     Terry

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 09:09:07 PM »
Option 2.

Vince

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:34 PM »
One thing I learned when I was 'on the board' doing pencil drawings was ordinate or datum dimensioning.
Pick a surface or location point (dowel hole) and make that the point of origin X-0, Y-0 then dimension most everything from there. On a simple drawing point to point is ok but when you have many dimensions from the same point using dimension lines with arrowheads starts to take up a lot of space. The drawing you presented us could be cleaned up a lot using ordinate dimensions.
I use AutoCad for my 2D drawings and I spend the time to make sure hidden lines and such follow correct drafting procedures.
The correct practice for making 2D drawings is to vary the line weights, heaviest for borders and sections, medium for all object lines and light for extension an dimension lines. AutoCad gives the option for line weights but the problem is they only show up when printed so if one doesn't keep track of what they are doing it can become quite a mess.
A 2D drawing accompanied with an isometric or picture view in a lot of cases helps the viewer visualize what the part looks like but unless you are using a program such as Solidworks that will create a 3D part from a 2D drawing it's a moot point.
Having been around drafting and part modeling for the better part of 50 years I can say that I do like the included picture view. Does it need to be shaded or colored, I don't think so.
gbritnell
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:56:02 AM by gbritnell »
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:10 PM »
George--I have had many "shop guys" tell me how much it helps to have an isometric view of the object that is detailed in 3 view orthographic projection. Of course, until I started working in Solidworks 3D about 18 years ago, it was almost impossible for me to do that.--Brian

Offline john mills

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 04:44:34 AM »
I started working with drawings in the late 1960's no colour was possible then.In the 1980'swhen i started with cnc
machines i did nite school to learn programming.i saw colour when i did subject to use anvil 4000 it used a very expensive colour pen plottor we did not have computers with any useful programs other than for editing my cnc programs the drawings some done in the 1960"s often could only be sorted out by going to the machine and looking at the part it was often impossible to work out which face holes and shape were on.if you can use colour to make the drawing easier to read that would be good.with modern computers and computer aided drafting programs .with colour printers it is now practical .i have had recent drawings that have colour but when engineers with poor drafting training and never worked from drawings colour won't help .A good drawing that can be helped with color would be a delight to work from.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the many replies, I won't respond to you individually but will make these comments:

It looks like No1 is the popular choice with No2 a close second. No1 is as I said what I have used in the past so that looks like it is the way to carry on with the 2D drawings. However I think as part of the package I will do a few sheets with coloured general arrangement and some sub assemblies possibly sectioned too that can be viewed on the screen to get a feel for how things go together much like this which I have just quickly put together. May also do a fancy rendered one too which I did start on a while back. There will also be my usual 100plus build photos available.

The small isometric will stay as I think that helps visualize the part particularly on my own engine designs that have been aimed at the beginner, this particular one is for a set of castings by Alyn Foundry and I don't see many beginners making that and maybe only two others makers if no more castings are forthcoming.

I do have an A3 printer but have sized all the drawings to A4 and scaled the parts to suit as that is what the majority of people will be using to print out their set on.

They will be in PFD format as that again does not need anything special to open, view or print and the files are a reasonable size. i'm approachable to anyone who may want a part in a different format for CNC etc, don't think there is a lot in this one that would lend itself to that but some of my Series 24 from barstock designs would.

Line widths have come up in a few replies, The images posted here are just screen shots and then resized by the forum software so don't really show what the actual print looks like. main solid lines are 0.25, dimension 0.13 and hidden detail 0.31 grey scale which are standard ISO pen nib sizes so will reproduce to standard sizes if the drawing is blown up to any other A size sheet. I will change that solid "Detail A" ring to a broken line as that was bugging me too. Below is a screen shot of the PDF ( again some clarity lost) or a direct link to download for those interested here

Although ther may not be a current standard for use of colour there certainly was in the past, I'm not ancient but can remember doing water colour washes on drawings at college where each material had a specific colour which is much the same as what has been shown here. You still see this on a lot of the old drawings and etchings.

Thank's again and keep any feedback coming.

J

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
Your two last examples are very easily understandable and clear  :ThumbsUp:

I think that an ISOmetric for each part on their own drawing as mentioned before will complete the drawn documentation. Only add on for really complex assemblies would be an "explosion drawing".

Nice work Jason    :cheers:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the many replies, I won't respond to you individually but will make these comments:

It looks like No1 is the popular choice with No2 a close second. No1 is as I said what I have used in the past so that looks like it is the way to carry on with the 2D drawings. However I think as part of the package I will do a few sheets with coloured general arrangement and some sub assemblies possibly sectioned too that can be viewed on the screen to get a feel for how things go together much like this which I have just quickly put together. May also do a fancy rendered one too which I did start on a while back. There will also be my usual 100plus build photos available.

The small isometric will stay as I think that helps visualize the part particularly on my own engine designs that have been aimed at the beginner, this particular one is for a set of castings by Alyn Foundry and I don't see many beginners making that and maybe only two others makers if no more castings are forthcoming.

I do have an A3 printer but have sized all the drawings to A4 and scaled the parts to suit as that is what the majority of people will be using to print out their set on.

They will be in PFD format as that again does not need anything special to open, view or print and the files are a reasonable size. i'm approachable to anyone who may want a part in a different format for CNC etc, don't think there is a lot in this one that would lend itself to that but some of my Series 24 from barstock designs would.

Line widths have come up in a few replies, The images posted here are just screen shots and then resized by the forum software so don't really show what the actual print looks like. main solid lines are 0.25, dimension 0.13 and hidden detail 0.31 grey scale which are standard ISO pen nib sizes so will reproduce to standard sizes if the drawing is blown up to any other A size sheet. I will change that solid "Detail A" ring to a broken line as that was bugging me too. Below is a screen shot of the PDF ( again some clarity lost) or a direct link to download for those interested here

Although ther may not be a current standard for use of colour there certainly was in the past, I'm not ancient but can remember doing water colour washes on drawings at college where each material had a specific colour which is much the same as what has been shown here. You still see this on a lot of the old drawings and etchings.

Thank's again and keep any feedback coming.

J

I do like the view you displayed above.   It does add to the understanding of the overall engine.   As I stated previously, an single Isometric on the details is usually helpful.

Looks great Jason!!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Thanks

While I'm at it can this cloud link to the 3D PDF be opened OK. You may need to trust the document the first time you click on the image than after that you should be able zoom in and out as well as move it all about!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
Yes Jason it opens ok on my iPad
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »
Opens for me on Android.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »
Opens on Windows10 and I can zoom but can't rotate it.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:23 PM »
Thanks for the conformation that it works on several platforms.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal