Engines > From Kits/Castings

PMR #1 Drilling Engine - Mike's 4th Engine

(1/12) > >>

mikehinz:
I think that I mentioned at the end of the build of my 3rd engine that I was contemplating a PM Research #1 Drilling Engine.  Well, I firmed that thought up and made the purchase!  I unpackaged the box and took a look at everything.  My first impression is that the drawings are really excellent and the castings are just a bit on the rough side. 

Here's a pix of the parts roughly arranged in front of my just completed Potty Engineering Horizontal Mill engine.  It's a bit larger and the flywheel is a LOT larger! 

I did make a bit of a start on the engine.  I took the casting for the frame to the belt sander and spent a bit of time flattening the bottom.  Plus a did a bit of filing around the parameter of the frame just to knock off some of the really rough flashing but I did that after this pix.  At the end of the day I got it to sit flat  on my surface plate.  I'll take a better pix later on but I didn't sand it down until it was perfectly smooth, just until it sat flat without rocking. 

That's it for the start!

I might be a bit slow for the next week or so as I had to have a large'ish area cut off my back and it's limiting my ability to lift my left arm above my shoulder at the moment.  So I can do lathe work ok, but the mill is tough.  Might be the justification for a power draw bar!

All for now.

Enjoy!

Mike.

b.lindsey:
Looking forward to this one too Mike. At least this one I have built. I can certainly relate on the rough castings. Yours look a bit better than mine did. Hope the back will mend quickly so you can get back to this build and the Webster.

Bill

Jo:
 Nice set of castings  :)

Five spokes on your flywheel  :thinking: that will be an interesting one to turn the outside rim.

Jo

Jasonb:

--- Quote from: mikehinz on January 21, 2019, 12:57:21 AM ---My first impression is that the drawings are really excellent and the castings are just a bit on the rough side. 

--- End quote ---

I have noticed that with all the PMR castings that I have seen. Although cleanly cast and well aligned they do seem to use quite a coarse sand which is reflected in the texture of the finished casting.

As Jo says 5 spoke wheels can sometimes be hard to hold inside the rim but you may be lucky as the spokes are quite thin though the size of your chuck and thickness of it's jaws will play a big part in how it can be held. Failing that its an easy fit on a faceplate.

mikehinz:

--- Quote from: Jo on January 21, 2019, 08:51:19 AM --- Nice set of castings  :)

Five spokes on your flywheel  :thinking: that will be an interesting one to turn the outside rim.

Jo

--- End quote ---

Your comment regarding turning the outside of the rim is indeed prescient!!  I'm about to post as to my progress on the flywheel and what I came up with. 

Thanks!

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version