Author Topic: Burmeister & Wain 1904 Air Blast Injection Diesel Progress  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Bruce W-S

• Model Engineer from down under
Burmeister & Wain 1904 Air Blast Injection Diesel Progress
« on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:58 AM »
Work completing some of the parts has been quite time consuming in particular the crankshaft. I make them as components and then press them together, then use hardened dowels to make sure that they stay in place. The crankshaft for this engine is 1 inch diameter ground 4140 with weight of 2.5 kg. After putting the assembly off for some weeks, I finally put it together last week without any problems and the runout was less than 0.0001 of a thou which is the best that I can measure with what I have.

The split bearings are a little tight but it is possible to turn the crankshaft over using a lever on the coupling. I have in the past mounted the engine base in the lathe and using back gear run the crankshaft slowly with plenty of oil to bed it in. Not perhaps good engineering practice but it works for me. I have now also ground the four cams which worked well using an attachment to my tool and cutter grinder. I also have the material to make a base for the engine and flywheel so that will be the next thing to do and at that stage, it will look like a real engine.

Bruce W-S

The first two photos are of the fitted crankshaft. The helical gear is to drive the external camshaft which is  1:1. There is another set of gears 2:1 (not shown) adjacent the cylinder head. The crank at the end of the shaft is to drive the compressor.

The last two photos show how the rest of the engine looks.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Burmeister & Wain 1904 Air Blast Injection Diesel Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
Compared to the original it is a model .... but man it is big :o and could do real work when you get it to run  :thinking:

All the parts looks very nice  :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal