Author Topic: Elmer's Engines book - $25.00  (Read 5987 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Elmer's Engines book - $25.00
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:37:02 PM »
The closest many of us have gotten to the Elmer's Engines book are the scans on the John Tom website. I've made many of these engines and, perhaps, the biggest deficiency is the quality of the scans. The drawings are OK but, it would have been very helpful if the photographs were even readable to show some detail.  If you've ever actually held a copy of the Elmer's Engines book, its immediately apparent that the photos are very good (many in color), sharp and detailed. Fortunately, I can go a few blocks to Fred's house and look thru his copy of the book. Today, even average copies of the book go for hundreds of dollars.
How about $25.00?

Roland Friestad, a friend of Elmer's, has a beautifully scanned PDF of the book for sale on his website. The usual disclaimer applies: I don't know Roland and don't get any money.

Link here:
https://digitekbooks.com/metalworking/product/25-elmer’s-engines

From Roland's website (BTW, the book is now $25.00, not $60.00)

"Readers of MODELTEC, the premier magazine for those who enjoy metalworking, machining and building models of all kinds fondly remember the engine designs of Elmer Verburg. MODELTEC is no longer published but about 50 of his engine designs and a dozen or more of his clever workshop tools survive in the book Elmer's Engines. The book is hard to find and commands a high price because it was published in very limited quantities.

Bill Fitt and Elmer Verburg were both friends of mine. Bill was the publisher of MODELTEC and also the owner of Old Orchard Publishing. Sadly both Bill and Elmer have passed away now. I have fond memories of visiting them both. Bill was proud of giving rides on his backyard railroad winding through the woods behind his house and Elmer delighted in bringing out all of his engines to demonstrate them to me. One of my favorite books is a copy of Elmer's Engines that he autographed for me during one of my visits.

When I started DIGITEK BOOKS to provide digital replicas of model engineering and technical books, Elmer's Engines was always very high on my list of things that I wanted to offer. In order to do a good job of a digital book it needs to be disassembled and my autographed copy had too much of a personal value. So when I found another like-new copy I bought it and "bit the bullet". I disassembled it and made a digital copy to make it available to other model makers.

Printed copies of Elmer's Engines start at around $200 and go up from there. I have seen them advertised for sale for as much as $2,000. The book is a pleasure to own and read but has one disadvantage. Unless your shop is as clean as a surgeons operating room, if you take the book out to your shop to build one of his engine designs it is almost impossible to keep it from getting dirty and that would be a shame.

The digital copy has a big advantage. You can print out just the pages you need, take them to the shop and the original is just as good as when it was new. The other advantage is of course, the price. At only $60 you won't want to let this one get by. Put it in your shopping cart now and learn why every hobby and professional machinist wants one.

Roland Friestad"

Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Elmer's Engines book - $25.00
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:01:11 PM »
That is quite a deal Stan, even for those of us who have the printed book. As noted the ability to print out the pages needed for a particular project for use in the shop is a huge plus. Thanks for the link.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 02:28:27 PM »
Today, even average copies of the book go for hundreds of dollars.

:o How much is a signed copy worth then  :paranoia:

Jo

P.S. I have the rejected unsigned copy  :(
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online GordonL

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:23:48 PM »
I have tried purchasing the book. I went to the site and tried to register but I cannot seem to make it work.

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 03:09:24 PM »
Bit confused, they say free postage but what are they actually posting I assumed it was an E-copy, if it is what format is it and will I be able to see it?

Scratch that found the page that tells me

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
No it does not work for me either

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
Windoze only uggg

So not for me then

:(
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 04:02:01 PM »
It is not Windows only, also supports Mac. And probably *nix as well since they are PDF files.
Essentially they mail you a USB stick with the files on it. It should work on anything that can display pdf's.
 If in doubt, why not email them?

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online GordonL

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »
I got this from Roland. He will take a direct PayPal payment if you are having a problem with registration.

Gordon,

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not a member of the MODEL ENGINE MAKER group - Guess I should join - If you wouldn't mind posting a message with my email address and the price of $25 it would be appreciated - Price is $25 and I guarantee satisfaction or money back - All scans are PDF files and are done at 400 dpi which is better than most magazines - Other than the DigitekBooks website all my advertising is basically word-of-mouth - I hate those pop-up ads with a passion and will never use them -

Roland Friestad - cardinal.eng@grics.net

P.S. - I have hundreds of engineering, machine shop and hobby machine shop books from about 60 years of working as an engineer and tool and die maker - My goal is to get them all digitized before I take the well known "dirt nap" -

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »
It is not Windows only, also supports Mac. And probably *nix as well since they are PDF files.
Essentially they mail you a USB stick with the files on it. It should work on anything that can display pdf's.

Gerrit

From the link

The digital copy has a big advantage. You can print out just the pages you need, take them to the shop and the original is just as good as when it was new. The other advantage is of course, the price. At only $60 you won't want to let this one get by. Put it in your shopping cart now and learn why every hobby and professional machinist wants one.

Roland Friestad

For use with Windows XP and newer - Not available for MAC or LINUX computers

But if it’s a standard pdf it should work

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 09:21:47 PM »
It is a USB stick. Read just fine on my iMac and i also copied it to the iPad
Best,
Stan

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »

Gerrit

From the link

Roland Friestad

For use with Windows XP and newer - Not available for MAC or LINUX computers

But if it’s a standard pdf it should work

But it also states:
"All orders are delivered on our custom made DigitekBooks Flash Drives. These plug into any USB port and work just like another disk drive. DigitekBook Flash Drives will work on computers running Windows XP systems and on newer versions of Windows as well as MAC systems."

Regardless, Stan now has evidence it is not Windows only.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline rwfriestad

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 03:26:07 AM »
Regarding my digitized version of ELMER'S ENGINES - Just a bit of clarification - Price is $25 postage paid world-wide - The $60 price was an error - Originally was for Windows only but now is for MAC and Windows - Might work on LINUX also because file is standard PDF - Works best with the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader which is included or if you have it, Adobe Acrobat - Works with any browser that can display PDF files - My personal favorite is CHROME - Any or all pages can be printed on your local printer - We have added more detailed instructions in the FAQ area for registering and ordering
Feel free to ask me any questions - Roland Friestad - cardinal.eng@grics.net

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 04:41:11 AM »
I sent Roland an email and he responded very quickly. Also, Ive just ordered my copy and anxiously await its arrival. Thank you Roland,  :ThumbsUp: :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
just ordered one via web site, whatever was going wrong (web or finger trouble) all seems good now

toolznthings

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 01:41:18 PM »
Hi,
I can not for the life of me get the PayPal choice to pay for the purchase or any other means to work. tried numerious times.  Help ?  :noidea:

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
I think you have to register first and for me that was the problem area, the system kept saying it had send an email for me to complete the process, it never did but this morning it was working and let me log in so I guess the site owner intervened. I suggest just try dropping him a PM/email

toolznthings

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
Kev,

Thanks for the reply !  Went back to the site and it now works for some reason. Anyway we are good.  :)

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
Great stuff, Im a fan of Elmers engines but no way would I pay the going rate for his book unless I won the lotto but for $25 im looking forward to actually seeing those photos that are just smudges in the online plans

Offline rwfriestad

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
Whatever is causing this ordering software "bug" is driving me and my webmaster crazy, which in my case is not a long trip -
If you would like my digital copy of ELMER'S ENGINES just send me $25 via PayPal to (see email address in profile) -  Or a personal check (US Funds) or Money Order - to
Roland Friestad - (send a PM for mailing address) -
PDF files will be sent anywhere in the world First Class Mail postage paid -
I apologize for the problem and sure wish we could figure it out -
Don't forget to include your mailing address and e-mail address
Roland Friestad 

Post modified to remove email and physical address from the open forum. See notes in red above. (b.lindsey)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:35:31 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
I worked fine for me yesterday. At least I think it did :)

Bill

Online GordonL

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
The bad part of the situation is that it makes you wonder if the whole thing is just a scam. I am sure that it is legitimate but in today's environment it is easy to suspect a scam when you go through the whole registration and then you are left hanging.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »
Gordon, as you can see Roland has joind the forum and addressed the issues here for all.

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Its no scam Gordon. I have personally been i n contact with Roland and he was quite professional and accommodating. I have one of his USB drives inn order and can not wait to peruse its contents.

BC1
Jim

:atcomputer:    :whoohoo:

Online GordonL

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 09:03:38 PM »
I did not mean to imply that it is a scam. I was just saying that there are so many scams that we become leery when a site takes your information and then just quits. I also have been in contact with him and he has been very accommodating and just caught in a computer glitch which he is trying to fix 

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :smokin2:

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 03:17:48 AM »
Pretty painless here, set up account this morning, ordered this afternoon, and have already
had an e-mail from Roland confirming delivery address.

Looking forward to seeing the photos instead of the black blurry blobs on John-Tom...

Cheers, Joe

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
Registered yesterday, but couldn't seem to get logged on. No problem logging on and ordering this morning. I did notice that, after clicking the
"PayPal" button, I had to scroll down and click the "Complete Order" button in order to get transferred to PayPal.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
Looks like 7 orders from just the MEM folks so far. At something like $.50 per plan not a bad resource to have or point newbies to. Wonder how many of these engines have been build over the years  :thinking:

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »
I tried and also had problem. Have not seen the email yet.

Colin

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
Make that one more
I gave up on the web site
And PP Roland directly as per his pm to me before he put it up on the site

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:42 AM »
I will be ordering tomorrow. Bill Lindsey I have build a least 6 of his engines. I look forward to getting them. Stsn Shire showed me his copy on his pad. Looks just like the book. Well worth the money. 

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 01:48:44 AM »
Dave, I think I have built five. Sometimes it's just fun to do one of them as a fill in project and most are ideal for smaller equipment. Looking forward to getting my copy too.

Sorry I couldn't see you at CF this year.

Bill

Offline Jeff Michel

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
Just ordered, worked without a hitch.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
I received my digital copy a couple of days ago. This is going to be really enjoyable book to work from. I've built two of Elmer's engines and might have to build another when I get back to machining........before starting back on my P & W build.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
Still waiting on my copy....hopefullt in the next ay or two.

Bill

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
Mine came yesterday , crept under the customs radar else there would have been a 8 quid collection fee plus the vat
And yes it’s Mac friendly

Printed matter is vat free but they could have guessed at the cost of the drive

Thanks Roland nice stamps Linda collects used stamps and takes them to the charity shop

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
I'm in. Sending my check tomorrow.

Thanks Roland.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »
Just ordered logged in as guest.

Look forward to an interesting read.

Colin

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 03:41:14 PM »
 :whoohoo: :cartwheel:  I received my copy in the post yesterday. It is a treasure. for certain. The customized packaging was cool, I have many of the drawing files from the usual sources already, but the picture images in this are so clear and crisp. Plus, now I have all of the drawings. Thank you Roland for all of your efforts.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline Joe P.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »
Just ordered my copy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
Got mine yesterday, all the way to the UK, works great and lovely to see the details, many thanks, best $25 I have spent this year :)

Online GordonL

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. The mounting card was broken but the USB chip still worked. He graciously offered to replace it. Interesting: the first card did not require a password but the replacement did require a pass word. Apparently he forgot to include the password but i emailed him and he supplied it.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
For those of you apparently  living in the dark- that is not in the world of CNC- let me give a bit of background on this Roland fellow. He was for many years the digital editor of HOME SHOP MACHINIST. He wrote a monthly column for the magazine. At some of the earliest NAMES shows he offered to open his paid booth space to any CNC hobbyist that wanted to show his CNC work. That led to Roland starting the CNC workshop, a week long gathering of a hundred or so guys that were serious about developing CNC.  He eventually had to retire and sold his shop, so the CNC workshop moved and was run for 3 years by George Bullis, now editor of HSM. Joe Katona and I carried it on another two years, but sadly it has now ended.

Roland is in many ways heavily responsible for the development of CNC for home shops.

Besides all this, he is a hell of a nice fellow.

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Got my copy no problem. Really nice copy and great to be able to see smaller details. Only problem, so many engines, so little time..... :praise2: :Jester: :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Joe P.

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
How long has everyone been waiting to receive their copy within the US? Did you receive an e-mail with a shipping notification? It’s about 10 days and other than the payment confirmation I haven’t heard anything else.

Offline Tom1948

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
It took mine a while before I recieved it. Had me wondering what was going on. You should eventually recieve it.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Joe, shoot Roland a PM and he can likely give you the shipping date. In my case it had gone to a PO Box associated with my pay pal account rather then my physical address as entered on Rolands website. Once I figured that out it was there waiting for me.

Bill

Offline Joe P.

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 03:17:38 AM »
My flash drive came today. Very nice, scans are very clear and the photos show more details than the plans I have seen online.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal