Engines > From Kits/Castings

Stuart No 1

<< < (2/53) > >>

Jo:
Thanks Bill,

I have completed the drawing review and it has confirmed again that this is an earlier casting set  :)  The differences between the two are (early/late)

1, Piston rod diameter - 8.73mm / 8mm (also on cover and gland)

2, Piston rod length - 25.4mm thread on end /16mm thread = thread for the nut to fit on split pistons.

3, Piston - split piston one ring / solid piston two rings

4, Studs on standard - 5BA /4BA.

5, Crankshaft diameter through flywheel - 12.7mm / 11.1mm, the earlier engine is keyed the later has grub screw.

6, Eccentric arm - one 4BA mounting screw/two 5BA mounting screws.

7, Earlier drawings have no allowance for cylinder lagging.

Jo

Roger B:
Another interesting rescue to follow along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

john mills:
I wil be following along I have two sets of castings for a similar engine and it is about time i finished them.

John

kvom:
Are you going to actually finish this one?   :stir: :stickpoke:

Jo:
Welcome Roger and John  :)

Lets start at the bottom... I am going to choose to suggest that the original builder thought it would be nicer not to have any mounting studs coming through the soleplate (I suspect he drilled the box bed first with 6.35mm then realised it should have been 1/4 BSF tapping size and decided to drill/tap the soleplate instead) and used bolts to join the two together:

At some point he no doubt realised that if he used 1/4 BSF nuts on the spacing suggested there was not enough space on the top of the soleplate, which reinforced the idea that hidden bolts were better:

The most important thing here is that everything squares up at the top and having "adjusted the position of the holes" with a hand file  ;) it looks ok:

Maybe 2BA studs and nuts would look better from the top  :thinking:

I think I am happy with the box bed and that can go for painting, while I think about the soleplate and give Eric a  :stickpoke: for some pics.

Jo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version