Author Topic: Roy's Little Engine  (Read 48574 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Roy's Little Engine
« Reply #315 on: January 06, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »
Happy new year Jo.

I like your " curvy " lines to the rocker arm, just shows how an individual can alter the engine to their own tastes.

Seeing her run would bring me the greatest of pleasure!

Cheers Graham.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »
Hi Jo, great to see you are still plugging away at this one  :)  I'm looking forward to seeing it running.

I decided to take the plunge and buy a set of castings so I'm hoping to start mine sometime next month  :cartwheel:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #317 on: March 26, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
Having replaced the valve pivot arm I found that the exhaust valve was leaking. I was not sure if it had been before I broke the original arm so I started by grinding the valve back in. After a few assembling/disassembling I realised that it was actually the push rod was now slightly out of line and was suffering from friction and leaving the valve open  :facepalm:

What had happened was that the distance for the guide bush from the head must have been a fraction off so I made an offset bush and fitted that. The engine flicks over and makes naughty sounds  :facepalm2: so I think we are ready to book the running crew and see if we can get this engine running.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
A very nice looking engine Jo. I hope it runs as well as it looks.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
Fingers crossed for you (and kept well out of the way)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »
Fingers crossed for you (and kept well out of the way)

Are you talking from experience Jason or just remembering those less fortunate who helped Jo earlier  ;)

Nice engine Jo, and I do hope that it runs without any injuries to those around it  :cheers:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »
I still have the scars from when I lent Jo a Hand (well thumb actually) trying to get her R&B engine to run.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
What a wimp, Eric had to be driven to A&E to have cosmetic surgery to put his thumb back together after trying to start my Felgiebel. And JB's was sooo bad that he found that just the threat from me to kiss it better made it rapidly improve so he could drive home less than an hour later  :LittleDevil: , Eric wasn't allowed to drive for at least a week after his chop1  :stir:

And it was his own fault: he tried poking his thumb at the back of the engine bed plate where it bends down between the two crankshaft bearings (to clear the crankshaft throw  ;) ) so that he could get a better swing on the starting handle. He can't blame my engine - it wasn't running  :hellno:

Jo

1. Eric was told no driving for a week but when he realised he had missed out on having it kissed better he was back the following day to collect his car  ::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #323 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
He can't blame my engine - it wasn't running  :hellno:

No change there then :LittleDevil:

Have you made a starting handle for this one or just hoping to flick the flywheels? At least they won't have so much momentum behind them as the R&B did.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal