Author Topic: Edwards 5 Cylinders.  (Read 26232 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Edwards 5 Cylinders.
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2020, 09:02:35 PM »
Maybe the board is connected the right way??

Absolutely possible - I have made similar errors in my constructions @ work - especially if we get the same standard part in a new "house" (casing or what you prefer to call them) and suddenly two or more pins are swapped on the next PCB and you can't find why it suddenly doesn't work, until you realized what happened.

Here the regulator IC will try to supply the necessary current if it can without the help of the transistors - if this is possible, it will still work (the plugs get hot enough to start the engine) ....

I also had a few errors made over the years, where I did the symbols wrong in the library after an update and printed an already working construction to the Boss as he wanted a schematic, and he came back and tells me this can't be working as I have swapped the Collector and Emitter pins - just like your schematic here  :-[

Oh and just to inform those who will ask what the Collector and Emitter pins are :
If you look @ the 2N2905 symbol in the schematic - Pin 1 = Emitter, Pin 2 = Base and Pin 3 = Collector.
The current flowing between Collector and Emitter is controlled from the current flowing from Base to Emitter and is HFe (the amplification factor) times stronger.
I will not go any deeper as this is not an electronic site ....

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2020, 04:30:02 PM »
Soooooooo, you were right!!! ;-)

It was functional, but it was heating a lot.

Now, it's ok, we changed the side ;-)

Thx sir!!!!

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
Glad that I could be of help with this  :cheers:

If you want to help others even more - please update the schematic here ....

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2020, 10:29:25 PM »
Glad that I could be of help with this  :cheers:

If you want to help others even more - please update the schematic here ....
I'll do it tomorrow, thx again.

Offline petertha

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2020, 12:28:30 AM »
Not that I would understand either schematic, but is your board a different principle than this?
http://philsradial.blogspot.com/2013/02/glowplug-driver.html

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2020, 02:30:59 AM »
Not that I would understand either schematic, but is your board a different principle than this?
http://philsradial.blogspot.com/2013/02/glowplug-driver.html
Look like it's more advanced than mine.

Hopfully, Admiral_dk will chime in to help us understand those circuits lol!! ;-)

I suck at electronic stuff.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2020, 11:38:07 AM »
It is more advanced - but also not complete, and full off construction errors  :facepalm:

I'm sure it is supposed to work the same way as somebody I knew many years ago did one. The MCU (MicroControlUnit - a kind of CPU) sequentially swiches on of the power MosFET's on for a very short time, waits a bit and turns on the next in the sequence, etc..
The positive terminal on the battery is connected to the engine and each Glowplug is connected to the Drain terminal on one of the MosFET's and the Source terminal is conneted to the Negative terminal on the battery.
This kind off system must run at high speed as it uses the fact, that the wire inside the glowplug is coiled and has a smal inductance. This inductance is a very important part of almost al kinds of Switch-Mode Power Supplies (SMPS).
The smart part of this approach, is a much reduced power loss => longer battery life + usually fewer components used.

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2021, 02:28:14 PM »
Hi,
Did you ever get the Edwards running?  I would be interested in knowing how it worked  (and a short video would be nice too!)

Regards,

Mike

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
Hi,
Did you ever get the Edwards running?  I would be interested in knowing how it worked  (and a short video would be nice too!)

Regards,

Mike
The only thing the do is the intakes...I realy, realy dislike bending tubes and i suck at it.

So by now, it's on the bench waiting for intakes.

I did a Nemmett 15 based engine not long ago and now, im working on a flat 4.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI2S22l7M-g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI2S22l7M-g</a>

Envoyé de mon SM-N975W en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »
I have been reading this very interesting thread as I have it in my mind to maybe build an Edwards 5 sometime in the not so distant future.  The suggested glow driver interested me - I am building a 3 cyl glow radial and will be in need of a driver but whether I would be able to cobble together the suggested board or have to buy a ready made one is another question.  But out of interest and just for completeness - did the suggested driver ever get "corrected" for want of a better word and the spec proven, ie, did it work?

Chris

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »
I have been reading this very interesting thread as I have it in my mind to maybe build an Edwards 5 sometime in the not so distant future.  The suggested glow driver interested me - I am building a 3 cyl glow radial and will be in need of a driver but whether I would be able to cobble together the suggested board or have to buy a ready made one is another question.  But out of interest and just for completeness - did the suggested driver ever get "corrected" for want of a better word and the spec proven, ie, did it work?

Chris
yes, it worked prerty good. I'll put you a pic later today.

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2021, 04:07:23 PM »
Here it is.

Offline petertha

« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2021, 05:05:38 PM »
The only thing the do is the intakes...I really, really dislike bending tubes and i suck at it.

Mine aren't perfect but maybe this will give you some ideas. I bought the 3003 aluminum versatube from Aircraft Spruce. It arrives coiled in about 12" box.
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/mepages/3003versatube.php?clickkey=3505

I just carefully made it straight by hand but better is a low cost handmade roller straightener
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sj-vDn_O0g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sj-vDn_O0g</a>

I used this hand bender. It works well but is dedicated to 5/16 (8mm) tube and bend radius of 15/16". If you have a different tube OD, then you need a different model# of tool. Or else make your own bender like others have successfully done but some more work.
https://www.blackrocktools.com/ridgid-lever-bender-36092.html

I was able to make them in 1 piece. Cupro (copper alloy brake line) for exhaust & aluminum versatube for intake

Last pic of a (test) jointed pipe method using aluminum coller & JB weld epoxy adhesive. This is kind of a cheat way of joining segments of arc sections & straight section & at different axis offtake angles in order to accomplish a funky 3D path. It isn't pretty but gets the job done. I ended up doing my bend in a 2D plane & then meets the intake manifold nozzle with a short section of thin wall clear silicone hose to marry them. It isn't perfect but hopefully will be leak proof & functional which is all I'm really after at this point.

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »
Hi glorfindel - that is good news indeed!  Did it work as shown on the electrical layout drawing, or did you have to reverse the Collector and Emmitter connections as Per suggested?

Chris

Offline glorfindel

« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2021, 10:07:36 PM »
Hi glorfindel - that is good news indeed!  Did it work as shown on the electrical layout drawing, or did you have to reverse the Collector and Emmitter connections as Per suggested?

Chris

Was made as suggested. They were reversed ;-)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:56:17 PM by glorfindel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal