Author Topic: Low profile radius turning attachment  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Neil-Lickfold

Low profile radius turning attachment
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »
This is my low profile radius turning attachment.
So this was originally made for trimming cue tips to different radius with a router a pcd tipped cutter.
It also has adjustable stops as well.
These are all the pics I have of the build. Nothing very high tech here.
I find P20 steel turns and mills really nice.

Offline Neil-Lickfold

Re: Low profile radius turning attachment
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »
Some more pics
So I assembled the unit, and then milled the radius of the top plate on the assembly.
Took apart, de burred, then did the hot blackening process on it. Just because it looks nicer.
I cheated and used a Taig topslide assembly that I already had.
It works really well.
There is only about 0.01 to 0.02mm gap between the plates. I was going to use an O ring seal,
but it has never caused any problems yet.
I'm thinking of making a smaller one for my Myford lathe, but have been too side tracked.
Neil

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:18:01 PM »
When turning something that needs milling as well, I often set up to turn it and mostly part it off. Leave like a 1mm to 2mm wall holding the part to the bar. Then do the drilling and milling I can. Set it back up and part it off most of the way, leaving about 0.05mm wall. Then I get a chisel and cut the part off. In this case it has knarly bits on it, so is unsafe to have come off. If it is solid I saw off the last 5mm or so depending on its size ofcourse.
If the parts are finished, then I use AL packers to not mark the workpiece. If it has material to be removed latter, I just clamp directly on the sides. I find it is often just easier to have a precise hole, and then make the outside true to that hole, than to make the hole precise and in the correct position.
Sometimes you just have to get the holes precise and in the correct position, but I like to do things the easiest way possible with the gear I have access to at the time.
Neil

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »
Dont be afraid of a good glue chuck.   It's amazing what you can do with one.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal