Author Topic: Workshop Heating  (Read 3047 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Workshop Heating
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 12:51:50 AM »
Heating isn't my problem ....cooling is the reason I get very little done in summer down here. I guess short of moving to the northern hemisphere I'm just going to have to suck it up. as example yesterday with doors and windows open it was 50+C in there :DrinkPint: Though I don't think I would like your winter weather especially what you guys in the states copped.
Pete

We were at -19C recently.....I'll split it with you!...then we can both be comfy!...
Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 01:02:17 AM »
I want to know who does the floors  :D

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 01:38:11 AM »
I will for enough Beer and BBQ!  :lolb:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 03:14:41 AM »
Eric maybe you could enclose the the most important part (the machine shop) and put in a small system to keep it comfy?

Dave

Dave...........that's exactly what I have. My insulated and heated 11 x 22 shop room is located in my 40 x 48 insulated and heated airplane hanger. Don't care what the heating bill is. I don't take cruises, travel, or drink (well not too much), but I want to stay warm!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
I want to know who does the floors  :D

Bill

Guilty.  Domestic (electric) hot water tank, recirculating pump, 5 loops connected together as a single zone and a simple (electronic - no set-back) thermostat.  I was lucky enough to build a new 24' x 32' shop about 15 years and the two must-haves were in-floor heating and a washroom.  The jury is still out on which should be at the top of the list.

The only thing I'd would like a "do over" for is to run Natural Gas.  The build happened when gas was sky-rocketing in price; now they almost give it away for the price of transport.  Too smart too late!  Sure it could be done now but the return on investment just isn't there - so much better when building in the first place.

Offline kvom

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »
My setup is similar; 3 loops under 25x30 slab, electric water heater.  Gas meter was too far away to be considered, and I need heat only for 3-months normally.  Washroom is available above the shop, but one in house is closer.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »
I was fortunate. When I finished out my hanger a few years ago I only had to run a trench for the gas line 80' up a gravel driveway. I have a hanging gas heater in the hanger and a hanging 220V electric heater in the 11 x 22 shop room that's in the hanger.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal