Author Topic: Longboy's "SUPER TEE" Model Gas Engine  (Read 7755 times)

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "SUPER TEE" Model Gas Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
Thanks Chester. "SUPER TEE" is going to have a pretty different layout for inline I/C on its lower end. I like things just a little......and even a lot, out of the ordinary!   
   :stir:  Dave.
Wadda you mean, "It don't run"???

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 08:13:37 PM »
I am having a hard time visualizing the layout - do you have a diagram of it? Looking very cool so far!

Offline Longboy

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »
I am having a hard time visualizing the layout - do you have a diagram of it? Looking very cool so far!

Thanks Crueby. No diagrams on SUPER TEE. Really wildcatting this one. Most likely, you will begin to see it into next weeks postings. That's if I can figure out if the distributor can drive the camshaft.   :thinking: Can you drive a camshaft with a distributor?   :shrug:     Dave.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 08:42:15 PM »
Run your ignition cam off the crankshaft and have a spark every revolution. Set your cylinders up to fire alternately. That way you don't need a distributor. If the piston which is not going up on compression gets a spark at top dead center it's okay--there is nothing in it to burn.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
An extra counterweight on the back side of the spur gear brings the assembly into primary balance. Splitting a steel disk in half and go from there.

Needed about a quarter round for the job. All fasteners on moving assembles......blue Loctited.

With the piston/ rod free spin in the bearing carrier now, balanced to my satisfaction in all clock positions. Test fitted to frame here with cylinder.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »
The radiators with 1 inch bore liners on the deck.

2.25 in. diameter aluminum rounds become cylinder heads.

They need a shave job to sit upon the radiators.

To the mill to give them a butt fit over the cylinders then.

And looking good!    :ThumbsUp:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »
Beautiful work!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 08:37:52 PM »
Beautiful work and great concept.  Those contra rotating gears offer some interesting balancing possibilities.

Is there a specific purpose for the right angle drive shaft?

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Longboy

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 06:01:29 PM »
Beautiful work and great concept.  Those contra rotating gears offer some interesting balancing possibilities.

Is there a specific purpose for the right angle drive shaft?

MJM460

Thank MJM.  That stub shaft on the web previous photo, comes into play for a feature onboard.    Dave

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:50:41 PM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
Six valve blocks where made, int. and ex. mounted to the side of the heads in a cross flow porting scheme.

3/4 x 5/16 in. aluminum bar sandwich a brass valve guide. Blue painters tape between the pieces as a gasket. Some 3/16 in. brass tubing with an O-ring seal tap into the combustion chamber when drawn up by a pair of #4-40 screws.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 05:56:16 PM »
The intake valve bocks are reversed, valve upright for clearance of accessories and components found under the intake manifold. CM-6 spark plugs direct, upright center in the heads. #4-40 socket screws below the surface of heads thread into the radiators with my usual O-ring head gasket.

The valve springs are purchased for the ex valves . Intake springs for atmospheric valves hand wrapped around a arbor shaft slow turned on lathe from some K&S .015 piano wire. Brass spring retainers are threaded onto the valves stems, 6-32 thread.

Time for some fork legs as the cylinders mounted tip the frame over now.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:05:26 PM by Longboy »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
It certainly is moving along rapidly. Very interesting build...still following along.

Bill

Offline Longboy

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »
     Can distributor drive a camshaft?  You Bet!    :ThumbsUp:

On the lead edge of the cylinder deck a couple bearing posts mount the camshaft. The distributor shaft on the lower deck passes under the heads and between the radiators on #1 and #2 cyl. and connect the two via these brass 24T- .5 Mod 90 degree bevel gears on 3/16 in. shafts.

The distributor body mounted to some scrap angle, bolted to the lower deck. A brass bushing in the distributor and a roller in the bearing post for support.

The cam lobes are fashioned from 3/8 in. round CR. Drilled/ reamed, machined cut ramps and hand filed finished profile. 4-40 set screws tie them to the shaft then.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:13:52 PM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
The distributor drive is furnished by 20/40 MXL belt cogs. Deck slot milled in for a straight to distributor shaft connection with the drive belt. Dist. cap is 3/4 in. internal diameter PVC end cap dressed with #8 brass screws for wire connection.

From 3/8 brass hex stock, a post and idler wheel keep the top of belt from dragging against the end of the slot.

And from the underside. On the right in the photo is the cam trigger for the Tecumseh points set. To the left of the cog....some kind of "mystery disk".  :o 
 Back on the top side, I see now that I will have room for an accessory between the 40 tooth cog and the back of vertical leg of the tall frame piece.....very pleased!  :)  Off to Ace Hardware to get the accessory!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
Suggestion - if you add a support to each shaft next to each mitre gear it will be much easier to maintain mesh. Without support, the long shafts may flex and cause the gears to deflect away from each other and get out of mesh. Just food for thought.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal