Author Topic: Creepy crawlies and other nasty arachnids  (Read 2781 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Creepy crawlies and other nasty arachnids
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:58:43 AM »
A while back, and I don't remember the thread it was in, there was some discussion about ants and other pesky little creatures in the shop. Back in the summer, here at home we were having a small problem with those little ants coming in from the garage and crawling around the kitchen sink. Tried sprays, etc which helped for a few days but back they came.  Anyway, wife saw this and we ordered one and plugger it in next to the sink and haven't seen an ant since. I am normally dubious about such things but for the small price it was worth a shot.

Shifting gears slightly to the shop, ants aren't so much an issue but teeny spiders are. They look like baby daddy long legs spiders, and before the renovation began they had enjoyed years of peace and quite and generated lots of cobwebs. Those have all been cleaned out but I am still seeing the spiders and a few larger cousins too.  So for $22, I ordered a six pack of these things (cheaper by the half dozen) and plugged two in on opposite sides of the shop today. Will let you know if it works as well there as it did at home. Anyone had similar results?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L691XLW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Bill

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: Creepy crawlies and other nasty arachnids
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:20:21 AM »
I'm waiting to hear how you get on, here they advertize a gadget that plugs into the mains and it's supposed to keep away all insects, and rats and mice. But the thing is it doesn't effect cats and dogs.
Ian S C

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 01:32:58 AM »
If you look at the link Ian, this sounds like the same thing. Mice, and, flies, mosquitos, spinners, even fleas. We have dogs and it has never had any effect on them at all. I will keep you posted though.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
I had one for some time to discourage the mice/rats.. Even with two different frequencies they get used to them after a while  :disappointed:

They don't come back if you smack them one with a soup ladle :naughty: but you do have to dispose of the mess after  :Doh:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:46:40 PM »
Remind me not to eat soup at your place Jo  :lolb:  Now there is a  bird in the garage at home that is driving the dogs crazy. Going to try one out there to see if it might repel birds too :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »
Well, if the critters get bigger and furrier, get yourself one of these bird-feeders!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs</a>

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
That almost makes me want to feed the Tree Rats  :lolb:  >:D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:28:09 PM »
Bil,
You, like me, are in Brown Recluse (spider) territory and those can be dangerous and are almost impossible to eradicate without expensive and/or toxic treatment.  After 40+ years in the same house I became infested only a couple of years ago and their reclusive nature makes them elusive and difficult to get at with chemical spray.  I live in a densely wooded area so the occasional rodent is to be expected, and is easily dispatched, but stepping on a Brown Recluse whilst trudging to the Loo in the middle of the night could ruin my day.  They love my workshop and the larger ones tend to hang out there where sticky-traps left out overnight always catch quite a few, but not enough.
I've never put much stock in ultra-sonic devices, ones I had years ago only made the mice bolder, but it's getting to the point where desperate measures are needed for something which will get them where they sleep!
Cheers,
Harry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:53:44 PM »
Harry, i haven't seen any of those yet. A few black widows in dark wet places like the well house, but I know to be careful there. I like the idea of stick traps as a secondary measure though.doyou place them around on the floor or where?

Bill

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 04:03:21 AM »
Bill,
The sticky-traps I use come in flat sheets made to be bent up into a triangular tunnel.  They are relatively expensive so I cut the sheets into strips and lay the strips here and there along the base of a wall.  Some will trap many, others not so much, so you'll eventually kind of zero-in on where they are.  I've forgotten the brand name, most hardware stores have them, but like everything else these days there are online reviews of the many available products.  They are very sticky, one touch by a bug foot and they're stuck for life . . which is then usually quite short but traps alone won't eradicate.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
One thing that does work on ants is borax, put a little pile on the track they take when they raid the kitchen. I think we mixed in a little bit of white sugar, and a day or so and the ants didn't come back. They take the borax back to the nest and feed it to the Queen.
Ian S C

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Harry.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 01:37:07 PM »
Bill, we have a pest service at home and the store (required) and they always use and leave us extra glue boards. Lou puts them in various places, but especially by exterior doors and you would be amazed at what they catch; spiders, lizards, and mice have all fallen prey. As Harry said; if it touches it, it's stuck.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
I have used these at home in out of the way places like in a pantry etc. Just have to be careful, the dogs might think they are a new chew toy, so have to keep them in places they don't have access to. Will get a few for the shop though and see what I can nab :)

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 05:28:12 PM »
I know a number of boaters who find that dryer sheets are very effective at repelling spiders/bugs, especially in closed spaces like lockers or sheds. Engine compartments and cabins sometimes need a couple...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal