Author Topic: Replacement cross slide wipers  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Replacement cross slide wipers
« on: January 25, 2019, 02:09:19 AM »
Hi guys & Girls,
 As the title says I’m wanting to replace my cross slide wipers. Now I tried this a while back, the lathe an Emco V10 came with felt wipers, I’d guess they were original, I found some felt at the local craft shop & gave it a go. It worked but the felt wasn’t a hi density so I used two layers & found cutting & punching holes a challenge! They also haven’t lasted!
I have posted this on the Emco lathe group & have had some nice hints on how to cut the felt better, also found that there is a replacements available on evil bay ..... for $44 NZ delivered.

I seem to remember that there has been discussion on this before here, I think it was Jo, but haven’t found what I was looking for..... replacing the felt with maybe rubber of one variation or another.  The lathe use two types of wiper, one square (2off), on the rear end,  one with an “A” shape cutout (2 off) on the front of the cross slide.
Any ideas most welcome!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Replacement cross slide wipers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:16:52 AM »
Check these out...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-Lathe-9-Model-A-Rebuild-Parts-Kit/150497962557?hash=item230a60aa3d:g:2rYAAOSwV0RXq9RE:rk:1:pf:0

I used this kit with the SB book to tear down and service what I could on Samantha Bell   The felts are a good replacement for the old ones...

Just a thought...you might try contacting him ....he might give you a line on the material...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »
Hi Kerrin,

Yes I tried rubber but it expanded when it absorbed oil  :disappointed: I then brought some thick felt from Fleabay, which is what I am still using.

A good sharp scalpel and a leather punch should have no problem on Felt

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
If you use rubber, you require 5011 Hy Car Nitrile fuel proof rubber. I used to do a bit of work with rubber goods for car restoration, Willys Jeeps.
Ian S C

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
Rather than rubber, I've found that semi-rigid wipers can be made of things like poly can lids or from plastic lids of most types. I have felt wipers with those plastic wipers over them. The plastic is cut to be a close fit to the ways and pushed in to tight contact when the screws are tightened. So far, about 10 years now, the plastic scrapers keep the junk pushed off the ways leaving almost nothing for the felts to clean up. Much cleaner than with only felt.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
Hi Jo, Ian & Pete,
 Thanks for the response.
 Jo thanks for that info.... I haven’t found any thick felt here yet, still hunting, seen it on eBay but so far I’ve only found enuff to last many lifetimes! The stuff I have thickness wise is only about 1.5 mm & reasonably soft. I saw on eBay that you can get it up to 4mm, do you remember how thick you used?

Ian, thanks for the pointer on the rubber, I did find online a company that supplies wipers in rubber with metal backing but only for flat surfaces, I guess they use the right rubber.

Pete, now that’s given me another idea! I did see a couple of guys selling 3D printed wipers with or without felt  inserts, but none for my lathe. Now I wonder if I could get a 3D printer past the financial controller?..

Cheers Kerrin

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Come up with a model of what you want and ill print it.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 12:00:15 AM »
Hi Dave,
 That’s a very kind offer, thank you!
I’ll scuttle off to the shop & start measuring up!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline RoyG

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 12:13:16 AM »
The original wipers on my Chinese lathe were a felt like material, but the felt wasn't dense enough to keep the metal chips out, and as a result the original wipers wore very quickly.   I followed the advice of a local machinist with over fifty years experience in the industry, and used leather instead of felt.   I purchased my leather on Ebay.  The Ebay supplier that I used is no longer there, but if you search for "Leather Offcuts" and/or "Leather Remnants". you'll get heaps of results.  The remnants are usually larger pieces, whilst the offcuts are usually small pieces, easily suited to making a few wipers.  When installing the leather wipers, make sure that the back side of the leather is outermost - that seems to work the best. 

Hope that helps,

RoyG

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 01:45:51 AM »
You can buy small sheets of very dense felt about 4 to 5 mm thick with adhesive backing on one side. It is commonly used to keep the legs of furniture from scraping a finished hardwood floor. I have made cross slide wipers from it and it works very well.---Brian

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 08:38:38 PM »
A used leather belt should give up a couple of pieces.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
Hi Roy, Brian & Mcostello,
  Thanks for yet more ideas! If I cant get thicker more dense felt then leather it will be!

Cheers Kerrin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal