Author Topic: Myford 9" Face Plates  (Read 2229 times)

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
Myford 9" Face Plates
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »
Hello All,
I fancy picking up a 9" faceplate for a Myford Super-7 and have a few questions before going in search of one.   if you have experiences or opinions beyond what I ask please feel free to let me know what those are.  Any opinions and experience gratefully received.

It's struck me that a 9" faceplate might be stretching the structural envelope of the S7 a bit and be prone to flexing and loss of rigidity?  How does Myford's faceplate stack up in that area?  Is there enough metal to be good and stiff?  My concern stems from the faceplates supplied with a popular 6" American lathe (which shall remain nameless, and in any case is no longer made) which were made too thin and flexed under normal loading.

I've managed to get on well enough without a T-slotted faceplate for years so given their thickness I wonder if that type of faceplate (from RDG Tools for instance) might be too much weight for the S7 spindle?

Are there any recommendations of sources in addition to Myford and RDG for a standout piece of kit at an attractive price?  Price is always a concern, but not more so than performance and utility.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Myford 9" Face Plates
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:03:42 AM »
I bought this one from Hemingway years back and love it for setups. You machine it on your lathe so it should run true when complete. http://www.hemingwaykits.com/cgi-bin/sh000029.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehemingwaykits%2ecom%2facatalog%2fTool_Holding%2ehtml&WD=face%20plate&PN=Quick_Set_Face___Angle_Plates%2ehtml%23aHK_202200#aHK_202200
Hope it helps.

Don

Offline Michael R

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 01:18:55 PM »
Hi Harry
Although not an exact answer to your question my own experience may be of interest faceplatewise.  I wanted a second 7" faceplate for my Myford and finding no source for a new Myford original I turned to ebay. Ludicrous prices for uncertain quality, clearly some had suffered corrosion and damage. So I took a punt on the RDG version and have been more than pleased. Having a Myford original to compare I found the RDG to be somewhat more solidly made. (Thicker material). I can't fault it and I'm sure if you had a word with RDG they could give any details you require re the 9" version.
My own feeling is that traditional slotted faceplates are more flexible than t-slotted. In my experience with the latter the length of fixing bolts/studs becomes more critical due to bottoming out. With the traditional slot and use of t-nuts excess screw length simply passes through. This of course is totally subjective and depends to an extent on your applications. Hope this may assist your deliberations.
Michael

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »
I too have the RDG plain slotted version.

Not quite sure just what advantage the tee-slots would be
( I will now probably be told    :D  )

Only used it a couple of times but it appears to be a perfectly serviceable part.

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/9--FACE-PLATE-FOR-YOUR-MYFORD-LATHE-98696879.html

Dave

ChuckKey

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 08:53:35 PM »
I have an original Myford accessory 9" faceplate. It is rarely needed, but when it is, it is absolutely fine. It is a considerably thicker casting than the
standard 7" plate.

Online AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
I have used my Myford 9" faceplate on a BigBore lathe on a number of occasions without any problems. I don't know of the best source for them now since it came with the lathe ten years ago.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 01:31:54 PM »
I have an original Myford 9" FP, and it has been fine in use, and very handy to have the extra space for clamps and packing ( and balancing weights )  on an awkward job. Dave

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
Hi

I have the original Myford 7'' face plate but needed something bigger so I bought the RDG 9'' version. No problems at all. The real bonus is you can screw the RDG face plate onto your lathe then take a skim across it thus ensuring the the face plate is absolutely crack on to your lathe.

Cheers

Rich

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 02:20:13 AM »
Many thanks to everyone for your responses.  Much appreciated, they've been very helpful.  :ThumbsUp:
Cheers,
Harry

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
My 9" face plate arrived from RDG today.  A nice piece of kit, with lots of meat where it's needed.  :ThumbsUp:
Cheers,
Harry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal