Author Topic: Another Westbury Wyvern build  (Read 816 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Another Westbury Wyvern build
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
Another interesting build to follow  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »
Thanks Dave and Roger, it's good to have you along.

Summer may slow down progress for a while (e.g. fishing, beach and the garden) so please be patient!

David

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 01:19:46 AM »
Right - back from the beach and into the workshop.

Getting the bed plate squared up and to size looks like it's critical and everyone here tell me that these casting thingies aren't always quite what they should be. A careful check was needed:

Everything looked close to right and had enough (just) metal to get the part out of it, I missed seeing the only bit that was misplaced until later. The datum faces are going to be the underside and two edges of the bottom flange:

which involved a lot of careful clamp-juggling to keep the casting secure and get access for the cutter:

after turning the part over I could machine much more stable clamping surfaces on the top:

which allowed me to drill the securing stud holes - including one in the wrong place and the JBW'd plug is just visible here:

with the casting nested against a parallel clamped to the angle plate (it all has to be this way 'round to get the Y-axis travel needed, must look at a more flexible clamping system sometime) the cylinder mounting face was machined - note the bit of JBW where some of the earlier clamp-juggling failed:

Turned over yet again, but this time with stable and secure clamping surfaces available, I could clean up the inside edges. In an ideal world this would just be a quick filing job but the first error in the original drawings comes into play here. The width of this slot in the bed plate is shown as 1.5", exactly the width of the crank webs that have to turn in the slot (the original GA has the slot drawn with some useful clearance), so I opened this up to 1.625" with a boring head and then the cutter here:

Yet another inversion allows the sides of the main bearing flanges to be brought to size and here I found the only "error" in the casting - one side was displaced ~1/16" towards the centre line and the far side didn't clean up completely. This doesn't look like causing any real problems with the bearing's lateral location, if it does then it's back to the JBW and a bit more machining. Dental mirrors can be very useful things as well:

The last operation (for this post) was to face off the main bearing split line ready to fit the bearing caps. I thought the setting the 30 degree angle by the scale on the Aciera table was sufficiently precise:

If I'd thought this through properly I'd have clamped up the part before tilting the table, otherwise you need four hands to fiddle everything into place. This stays set up until the holes are drilled for the bearing caps.

David

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 02:27:48 AM »
Hope the beach was enjoyable David. Nice to have you back too though and in the shop again.

Bill

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 03:08:59 AM »
Thanks Bill, it was. My late father-in-law bought the land around 1955 and he and a couple of mates built the house over the next few years. There's a dirt road across the front then the creek and beach (below at sunset):

David

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 03:55:53 AM »
Nice Set ups!    Gotta love the Aciera!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!