Engines > From Kits/Castings

Another Westbury Wyvern build

(1/25) > >>

deltatango:
Hi everyone and I hope you all have a very happy and useful 2019!

Now that Mastiff is running (not really finished, but nothing here ever is) its time to make a start on the next project. It is also the 1st January 2019 which sounds like a good time to start anything.

Making Mastiff generated a lot of swarf and all that metal carving has, at least temporarily, satisfied my need for machining from the solid. This time around I have a set of castings and materials for E. T. Westbury's "Wyvern". Once again I've modelled the engine based on the original Westbury drawings (plus hints from this forum and others) using the Alibre 3D CAD package. With Mastiff I made 2D drawings as and when needed, this time I've created a full set before starting to cut metal. No doubt I'll find out the problems with these as I go along.

Many of you will already know what Wyvern looks like but here it is for those who don't:

The PDF of the GA drawing is at :

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AJ%5FpFM1IAFxp8q4&cid=2272D9130B9B6673&id=2272D9130B9B6673%212741&parId=2272D9130B9B6673%212733&o=OneUp

It is too big to attach and I'm not sure just how to add a hyperlink to a file, hope it works. If not I guess someone will put me straight.

The casting set from Hemingway Kits looks like:

Only the flywheels are in CI.

I made a start on machining the sub-base this pm, pictures in the next post.

Regards, David

Edit 2019-03-28: Drawing .pdf and .jpg files updated - see later post DT

Jo:
:thinking: Nice set of castings David. We just checked our set and the flywheels are the only CI parts in that set as well. Our carb is Ali... Have you thought about the skew gears

Looking forward to watching your build.

Jo

P.S. I fixed both links  ;)

Alyn Foundry:
Like these?

;)

Jasonb:
Ideal if you are going for the "barn find" look :LittleDevil:

Nice job on the drawings though the link does not work for me either. Lookforward to following your build.

Alyn Foundry:

--- Quote from: Jasonb on January 01, 2019, 03:04:01 PM ---Ideal if you are going for the "barn find" look :LittleDevil:

--- End quote ---

Hi Jason.

The " special " coating isn't just for castings, you know!!   :lolb:

Ten sets were cut for my Hornsby Akroyd quarter scale replica. Half inch crankshaft 5/16" sideshaft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version