Author Topic: AOG’s PMR BLR-1 V2 build  (Read 19169 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: AOG’s PMR BLR-1 V2 build
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 10:51:13 PM »
Great progress! Watching this one go along might finally get me to build my kit of that boiler thats been collecting dust.  I hope! 

:popcorn:

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 12:09:47 AM »
Great progress! Watching this one go along might finally get me to build my kit of that boiler thats been collecting dust.  I hope! 

You had better check. My Elves were mumbling something about waiting for a boiler kit from the south, that they had traded a red sled (which they had borrowed) for.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:11 AM »

You had better check. My Elves were mumbling something about waiting for a boiler kit from the south, that they had traded a red sled (which they had borrowed) for.
Gerald.
Those little....    :facepalm2:

Offline AOG

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »
I got a little more done this week. During the week I cleaned up the door castings and filed the latch so that it would close. The frame was drilled for the hinge pin. Then I drilled the mounting holes on the door frame to tapping size.

The door was installed and held with a clamp. Then the hole for the hinge was drilled using the door frame as a drill guide.

The frame was mounted on the boiler and the holes transferred. The boiler holes were then tapped.

The holes in the door frame holes were drilled out to clearance size. The door was installed, the hinge pin pushed through and the  end peened.

Next I transfer punched the mounting holes for the top cap. The top cap was then drilled and tapped.

The top cap was assembled and it and the door mounted to the boiler. That is as far as I can go with the boiler itself until the Bix burner I ordered comes in so I started work on the ancillaries. I already have a one of the PMR premachined hand pumps allocated for this build so that’s sorted. That leaves the water tank. I am using the PMR water tank kit. I started by cleaning up the tank on the lathe and drilling the hole for the outlet bushing.

The base was soft soldered in and then the bushing mounted and soldered in. After soldering the tanks was pickled and cleaned up.

I took the base casting and machined the end flat.

The base was flipped in the chuck and turned to be a slip fit n the tank.

It was then over to the mill to drill the four mounting holes.

I cleaned up the flashing with some file work and then I deviated from the plans for mounting the tank to the base. Instead of drilling holes and using mounting screws, I JB welded the tank onto the base. I will finish this update with a family shot taken while waiting for the JB weld to set.

Till next time

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Hello Tony,

Sure looking good and very nice work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 07:47:26 PM »
Great progress Tony. It's starting to come together nicely now.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 07:52:39 PM »
Great progress!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline AOG

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 09:05:50 PM »
Let’s close this one out. My Bix burner came in so the next task was to fit it into the base. I milled a slot into the base. Along the way, I forgot to tighten the vise and marked up the part when it slipped.

I cleaned up the base in the lathe and here is the base with the burner set into it.

Then I transferred the mounting holes from the boiler to the base and tapped them.

The base was mounted to the boiler and the boiler shell filed out to fit the burner.

That completes the boiler so it was on to paint and plumbing. Here are the components painted and ready to be fitted to the base.

Here are some final pics of the assembled boiler plant.

She’s ready for her first steaming once the thread sealant dries.

I think that’s it for this one.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 06:05:22 AM »
Beautiful work there Tony, it brings back memories from my boiler build for the Columbine. I like the black finish and i am thinking I may do the same on the parts not lagged.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
Great stuff Tony, I look forward to seeing it in action  :)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
Hello Tony,

Very impressive and neat and clean unit, looking forward to a video. :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline AOG

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
Thanks everyone, I ran my S-50ish with it yesterday but I forgot to take pics/video. It worked but my bodged together connection leaked like a sieve. I need to get some fittings and make up a proper tube to connect them together. I’ll take a video then.

Tony

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 06:31:38 PM »
Nice work Tony!  What kind of paint did you use, that doesn't look like barbecue flat black?

Offline AOG

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »
What kind of paint did you use, that doesn't look like barbecue flat black?

That would be because I used barbecue semi gloss black. I couldn’t find it locally so I just ordered it from Amazon.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »
Looks great Tony and a very neat and tidy arrangement of things on the base too. Looking forward to the video as well.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal