Supporting > Boilers

AOG’s PMR BLR-1 V2 build

<< < (3/8) > >>

AOG:
Thanks guys, more good progress today. The first thing I did was attempt to drill out the lower holes. That’s when I realized I screwed up. The holes in the pattern were below the tube plate. After checking all of my dimensions and the placement of the tube assembly I realized that I misread a dimension and made my tube assembly 1/2 inch to short. It’s to late to do anything about it now but move the holes. I picked up the marks on the pattern and translated them 1/2 inch before drilling the holes. With the holes drilled 4 rivets were installed 90 degrees apart. I had a heck of a time getting my squeezer on to the rivets. As I started to fill in the rest of the rivets I figured if I cut out the hole for the fire door I could get a better angle on the remaining rivets. First I drilled the  corners 3/32.

Then using a jeweler’s saw I cut out the opening.

After some quality time with my files, we have one completed door opening.

After that, the remaining rivets were installed and the template removed. I also annealed the areas where the rivets were installed.  Here is the riveted assembly cleaned up and ready for the next round of soldering.

Till next time.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AOG:
Today started with a bit of a weather delay due to rain. That gave me the opportunity to clean up the boiler base casting and turn it to a slip fit on the boiler.

When the rain stopped, I soldered up the ends and soldered in the boiler bushes.

Here it is after pickling and a cleanup.

I need to do some work on my pressure testing rig so I’m going to call it for this weekend. Hopefully next week I can get it pressure tested.

Till next time

Tony

crueby:
That is coming along great. Did you silver solder everything rather than the soft solder pmr uses?

AOG:
I hard soldered the tubes and used the PMR stuff for the fittings and to seal the tube plates to the shell. On my last one I hard soldered everything and I ended up with problems with porous joints and pinhole leaks because I unintentionally remelted the solder on the tubes while I was trying to solder the tube plate to the shell. I ended up sealing the leaks with the PMR stuff and it worked fine. This time I decided to go with it from the beginning. The only reason I hard soldered the tubes was because I didn’t trust my swages on the ends to hold the tubes. It turned out to work well because the tubes never came close to remelting while I was soldering the ends.

Tony

AOG:
Good progress this weekend. After replacing the check valve in my pressure test rig, I pressure tested the boiler. I had a few leaks around a few of the tubes. They were sealed up with solder and the retest passed with flying colors.

Then I started work on the top cover assembly. I turned the inside of the base enough to get a good grip. Then the part was flipped and I turned the outside of the top of the casting to allow for a good grip.

The top was then bored to take the chimney.

The casting was reversed and the lower part turned to be a slip fit on the boiler shell.

Then it was over to the mill to put in the hole for the safety valve extension. Because of the angled cut I used an end mill for the job.

Next up was the chimney cap. First I turned down one end to fit the chimney.

Next I step drilled and then bored the inside.

The cap was parted off and reversed in the chuck. Then I used the form tool I made for the first version of this boiler to turn the outer profile.

That’s it for this update. I will leave you with a current family pic.

Till next time.

Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version