About MEM > Introduce Yourself

Hello from Victoria Australia

(1/3) > >>

rjconway:
Hi,
I have found machining again after 40 years.  As I studied as a Instrument Maker (1980) this profession soon died and that too meant leaving machining for the world of electronics and software.  So Ive come full circle and have done many software/electronic projects for maker spaces for the last 10 years.    I have now access to a lathe and mill so what better items to make than a steam plant.  I've worked in Oil & Gas, Power generation on the automation side so I plan to build a model steam plant with a couple of engines, boiler and a good level of automation.

I have committed the build on the first engine Stuart S50 and will start a build log.  I really wanted to build my own boiler as I have now received the Australian Boiler standards.  It looks however likely I will have to buy a local boiler that is certified to australian standards  which I can run in public places.  Seems  difficult to find a boiler inspector close by...

Rob

Kim:
Hi Rob,
Welcome to the forum!  Looks like you've made a good start on you're S50 there.  Hope you start a build log on it!
Kim

MJM460:
Hi Rob, welcome from another Victorian.  This is a great place to hang around with like minded folk from around the world to complement your machining hobby. 

I know what you mean about finding an inspector.  As I understand it, insurance considerations effectively means you need to be a club member.  Posts by other members suggest it is a worldwide issue.  I have bought a commercial boiler for that reason, though not yet tested whether it would be acceptable.  I build boilers for my own use (with experienced help for the inspection and soldering).

Simple answer is to run on air when necessary.

Looking forward to that build log.

MJM460

rjconway:
I have been talking to a local Victorian  manufacturer of model boilers who provides certification and insurances.  At around AUD$600 for a 3" boiler c/w gas burner it probably not too far off the costs of building it myself.

oh..  Thanks for the welcome :)

deltatango:
Hi Rob,
Welcome to the MEM forum from another Melbourne member.

Regards, David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version