Author Topic: Cabin Fever 2019 - Jan 18-20  (Read 8785 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Cabin Fever 2019 - Jan 18-20
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 01:06:44 AM »
Dave, unfortunately the wife's health will keep me from attending this year. I will miss you guys and be there in spirit if not in person.  Hope you all have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Bill

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 01:54:51 AM »
We will miss you at Cabin Fever, Bill.
 Family comes first.
 Scott

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 03:00:29 AM »
Bill we will miss you. As others have said family comes first. Hope all is well.

Dave

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 10:26:07 PM »
Sorry to hear that you can't make CF Bill.

After weeks of decent weekends, it looks like we are going to get a real storm this coming weekend.  Looks like I will miss CF yet again this year due to weather.  It's such a shame it's not in April.  I would never miss one. 

There's always next year.  Safe travels to all attending.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:20 AM »
Thanks guys. I had really hoped to get back to CF this year, and I will miss seeing all of you most definitely. I hope the weather will hold out and that you all have a great time and safe travels. Pictures please  :)

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 12:52:53 AM »
How's it going guys? Any reports from the show?

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:32 AM »
Bill,
The weather held out till evening, probably about the time they all leaving from dinner. I was on my own & didn't know what plans my wife made for the evening, so I declined the dinner invite as I'd have needed to get my wife then return. Maybe next time. Hope to post some photos later. Couldn't find the gang when I arrived so ended setting up next to Ron Colonna.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 03:06:03 AM »
Thanks Art. Will look forward to the pictures.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 02:01:52 PM »
Arrived Thursday and set up with the MEM group.  Met some new folks and got to associate some faces with names.  I heard that attendance was up from last year, despite the weather.
Photos of the MEM group.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:09 PM »
Another photo of the MEM tables.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
Good to hear Craig, an thanks for the pictures. Hope everyone has safe travels home!!

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »
Fewer exhibitors and vendors this year, presumably deterred by the weather.  I found out Saturday evening that SW was offering to let its DC area bookings change to earlier flights free of charge to avoid the storm.  I change to an 8:50 flight from BWI.  Left Lebanon at 4:00am in light rain.  Some fog but luckily no traffic to speak of.

The only goodies I found to buy are 4 6" steel rules with metric on one side and inches on the other.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 07:02:51 PM »
Seemed like a few less table in the room I set up in. arrived around noon on Friday set up the engines . Had them running on air Friday .
so a bit more interest in the display than past years. And a decent turn out on saterday.  We ended up bailing around 4 on Saturday the crowds had thinned by then and did  not want to get caught in the storm. The storm apparently just skirted the venue . The main concern was the varied and vasalating weather report  even from  one reliable source. purchased a few goodies and am home safe.

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »
I had a great time at the show.
Met several other MEM members for the first time and saw a lot of old friends.
The turnout was much better than I expected for Saturday, although Sunday was pretty empty
All in all a good show-my engines ran pretty much the whole show (with a few minor repairs), and I talked to a lot of interested people.
 Scott

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 08:55:55 PM »
Ok, here's a fuller report since last night. I had set up next to Ron and across the isle was this 426 hemi.

I must admit that it really made an impressive sound. He had an RC midget car driven by a Sealion engine.

This one he started by putting it in gear and spinning the back tire. I was told (If I recall properly) the midget spins at 11000+ rpm and the Hemi 8700ish rpm.The next couple were down the table from me.

On the other side of Ron were these engines

I'd like to add the following note to the following engine. Although it might look like a take off of the Henry Ford motor, it was an exercise to show that an engine could be made with simple hand tools and a drill press. It was a two stroke water cooled, that is a piece soldered together and slid onto the cylinder. The piston is made of JB Weld packed into an oiled copper tube the same size as the cylinder. I asked him how fast it was running and he stuck a digital tach on it 2800rpm, I was quite impressed. The crank was made of a pair of studs clamping onto the shaft and extending out the other side for the counter weight, I can only assume he added nuts onto it until he achieved some sort of balance. the only part turned in a lathe was the flywheel.

Across the isle next to the hemi was these ones.

and then there was this intriguing piston machining fixture he made

Well that's all for now or else I'll have a novel here. All these engines were within 50' of me.
Art
PS. I once again neglected to take any photos of my self or engines :wallbang:

"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal