Author Topic: Lighting upgrade  (Read 6535 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Lighting upgrade
« on: December 23, 2018, 11:12:40 PM »
OK....I've been in the dark far too long....Now if that wasn't a meatball, you guys aren't paying attention!

Lighting!

Currently, in my 11 x 18 foot x 12 foot ceiling garage shop,  I have task lights, 1 half functioning 4' florescent light fixture...and that's it!    It sucks...and as my age increases, it gets worse every year....old eyes need more light!...

So, after a brief discussion in Bill's shop rebuild thread, I've decided to get something done about it.    Lets start at the bottom and work up.

Aciera F1   The factory task light is kaput!    the fixture just plain wore out and fell apart.    The only light I've got on this is the main work light on my Clausing mill which I swing over .   Unfortunately, I am parked between the machine and the light, so I end up using my optivisor/light to see what I'm doing....not very efficient, and probably the worst lit machine in the shop.

Clausing Mill       That's not too bad!   I have a sizeable halogen machine light on that, on one side of the spindle.    The left side of the spindle is brilliant, but you can't see much on the right side with the shadows and such.   I end up swinging the desk lamp from the Southbend over to light that side up...again, I'm between the light and the machine there....not a good situation ...

Southbend     I have a shared desk lamp that I share with the watchmakers bench.    If I'm on the chuck side of the saddle, it's not too bad, but on the TS side....I end up using a pocket flashlight to help me out.

The problem
No where NEAR enough ambient light in this space..    It needs a great deal more ambient light to make everything work
The task lights I have aren't well suited to my applications.    they cast shadows, get real hot, and are generally in the way. 

The enjoyment of the shop suffers...as does my work.

The plan
4 new Hi Intensity LED light fixtures on the ceiling.  That and white walls should raise the ambient light level significantly
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQPCT6Z/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cigarobsecom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01MQPCT6Z&linkId=7d427ecfecde9c110b031674f253fde4

From what i've read, you need as a minimum 5000 lumens for every 250 sq feet   20 lumens/sq foot  ( 23 sq meters,   215 lumens/sq meter)   and these lights are 4100 lumens each on a 198 sq foot shop..... or 16,400 lumens/198 sq feet or  82 lumens/sq foot.     For the primary light, that will brighten it up a lot!....  based on some simple calculations, I'm at 4 lumens/sq foot currently..just for comparison.

Aciera, will get a brand new Hi intensity LED talk light, mounted where the old one was, and as it's a smaller fixture and is very bright, I can leave it where ever it's needed.   
I made a mount for that tonight.   It needs two tapped holes and it's done.

Clausing    I am going to take the Hi Intensity Halogen machine light off of this machine and replace it with 2 Hi intensity task lights either side of the spindle on the column.   No more shadows.

Southbend  The Hi intensity light that was on the Clausing will move over to the Southbend and be mounted to the bench...and be right where I need it...again no more shadows, and hard to see dials

Logan  I'm going to purchase another Hi Intensity Halogen work lamp just like the one I have and put it on this lathe as well

Then we'll see where we're at.    8)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:10:24 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Lighting upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 01:05:10 AM »
In my shop (slightly larger than yours, not much, back room of the house), I started with two 4' track light sets with 4 spot/floods each. That lit up the room fairly well, mainly along the benches. The machines also have gooseneck task lights, one on the lathe, two on the mill (one from each side). That works out well, the work is lit without the rest of the room needing sunglasses.   8)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 01:16:54 AM »
Sounds like a major improvement Dave.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:47:27 AM »
Anxious to SEE how it all works out Dave. Sounds like a good plan though. Guess you can never have too much light.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 02:42:36 AM »
Anxious to SEE how it all works out Dave. Sounds like a good plan though. Guess you can never have too much light.

Bill
You know you have too much if you need to wear your welding goggles...

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 07:11:36 AM »
I changed my old flouro fitting for LED earlier in the year and am very happy with them. My workshop is 8x16 and I have 4 six foot singles @ 3400lum each with uncluttered white walls and ceiling. Mine are 4000K which is not too white or too orange.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
Sounds like a good plan Dave  8)

From what i've read, you need as a minimum 5000 lumens for every 250 sq feet   20 lumens/sq foot  ( 23 sq meters,   215 lumens/sq meter)   and these lights are 4100 lumens each on a 198 sq foot shop..... or 16,400 lumens/198 sq feet or  82 lumens/sq foot.     For the primary light, that will brighten it up a lot!....  based on some simple calculations, I'm at 4 lumens/sq foot currently..just for comparison.

Rule of thumb is a Fluorescent is 50 Lumens per Watt and an LED provides 100 Lumens per Watt, if the tubes are clean  ::)

I am currently running 75 Lumens per square foot from my over head fluorescent lighting plus task lighting on every bench and machine. The ceiling lights are all the older 5ft fluorescent double fittings that were removed from work 20 years ago  :naughty: and they have the advantage of providing an additional 550W of background workshop heating. The great thing about these older fittings is lots of people are getting rid of them and giving me their spare new tubes.  :ThumbsUp:

You can never have too much light and natural sunlight is best  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »
My actual fittings had started to go so not working well even with new tubes and starters so that is what made me completely replace them.

As most of my machines are up one end of the workshop I just need two tubes on and have a couple of cheap Ikea type LED task lights so can happily work away with just 63w lighting and a sweat shirt :) I just switch another on if working at the other end of the shop.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Hey Tatah, I can highly recommend these from LMS for machine lights:

If you haven’t hit the one click buy button on the ceiling fixtures hang on until you hear from me. Talk to y’all real soon.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
I have found 8 foot LED tubes now @ 4200 lumens so 12 tubes x 4200 divided by abourt 820 sq/ ft. of shop space (not counting the enclosed storage closet) should give me about 60-61 lumens per sq. ft.  Definitely cheaper than replacing the fixures too since aside from ballasts (which will be bypassed with the new tubes) that are in excellent shape otherwise. Just want to double check the wiring against the LED tube manufacturers diagram which I will do this week before trying these puppies out.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
Hey Tatah, I can highly recommend these from LMS for machine lights:

If you haven’t hit the one click buy button on the ceiling fixtures hang on until you hear from me. Talk to y’all real soon.

Cletus

The one on your lathe is identical to the one I'm putting on the Aciera.   
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »
I have found 8 foot LED tubes now @ 4200 lumens so 12 tubes x 4200 divided by abourt 820 sq/ ft. of shop space (not counting the enclosed storage closet) should give me about 60-61 lumens per sq. ft.  Definitely cheaper than replacing the fixures too since aside from ballasts (which will be bypassed with the new tubes) that are in excellent shape otherwise. Just want to double check the wiring against the LED tube manufacturers diagram which I will do this week before trying these puppies out.

Bill

Good!!!!  I can't believe I've been working in 4 lumens/ sq foot....can't wait to be able to see again!

Cletus!    I pulled that trigger already son.....They're on the way!     I'm hoping they come this week so I can put them up!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
So what you got up your sleeve there Whiskey??

Dave, maybe you can take a before and after pic of the general shop illumination.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Dave  8)

Rule of thumb is a Fluorescent is 50 Lumens per Watt and an LED provides 100 Lumens per Watt, if the tubes are clean  ::)

I am currently running 75 Lumens per square foot from my over head fluorescent lighting plus task lighting on every bench and machine. The ceiling lights are all the older 5ft fluorescent double fittings that were removed from work 20 years ago  :naughty: and they have the advantage of providing an additional 550W of background workshop heating. The great thing about these older fittings is lots of people are getting rid of them and giving me their spare new tubes.  :ThumbsUp:

You can never have too much light and natural sunlight is best  :)

Jo

My shop has 1 small window, that's pretty high up....the window sill is about shoulder height.    In the summer, half that window is full of an A/C unit.  It's over the Southbend, but I've completely discounted it as otherwise the shop is a "cave" during the summer.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
So what you got up your sleeve there Whiskey??

Dave, maybe you can take a before and after pic of the general shop illumination.

Bill

The condition of the shop is embarrassing at the moment..Today is a clean up day, as I have to make room for the 3D printer...so maybe later today....but I've got some cooking to do too.....we'll see.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal