Help! > Specific Engine Help

Removing damaged bolts/screws.

(1/2) > >>

Gas_mantle:
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove some screws from a boiler superheater in order to replace a gasket but they are stuck solid and have now partly snapped at the heads. Can anyone please offer any help?

I've tried heating them then using pliers but there isn't enough to hold on to, I'm not sure of the thread size but they are only perhaps about M3 and from what I can see stud extractors dont seem to go that small. I did wonder if it is worth trying to silver solder something onto the broken end to give something to grip.

Many thanks and a Happy Christmas to all  :cheers:

simplyloco:
If you look at this thread from 'Another Place' you will see how David and I (mainly 'I'!) drilled out and retapped six 8BA stud holes. Tricky, but eminently doable!
Good Luck
John

http://modeleng.proboards.com/thread/12050/990?page=4

Gas_mantle:
John, thanks for your reply,

I have now managed to remove them all, they did eventually come with heating and pliers after a cup of tea and a rethink  :)

The quality of these screws they must cost 10p a ton

pgp001:
Peter

I would not put cheese head screws back in there.
Why not make some studs from good quality material, and hold the top down with nuts instead.

Phil

Gas_mantle:
Thanks Phil, that's what I'm doing cheeseheads screws can't be tightened down properly so I've put 5ba studs in.

When I finally got it apart there wasn't a gasket in  :facepalm2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version