Author Topic: Aluminum Crow Call.....what?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Aluminum Crow Call.....what?
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Well I have ordered a new lathe...,a Jet Wood Turning Lathe and all the goodies needed to get completely set up for wood turning in my little / small shop. Any way I had downloaded a copy of a typical Crow Call and after looking over the drawing, I decided not to wait for the new lathe. So I got a piece of aluminum round bar and whipped this body out this morning. I added two raised rings, two “burn” lines, a knurled finish aft of the lanyard groove and a slight flare on the outlet end. An insert ( the guts as they are called ) for a Crow Call will slip inside the 5/8" bore to complete the unit. I had ordered the guts to be used on my first wood Call but will actually insert them in this “thing” and see how it will sound. Who knows, this could be hook up to a steam engine for the replacement of a whistle.  :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Aluminum Crow Call.....what?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:39:45 PM »
That is a fancy body there Thomas. It will be interesting to see how the sound of the call changes between the wood and aluminum bodies.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:16:51 PM »
That is a fancy body there Thomas. It will be interesting to see how the sound of the call changes between the wood and aluminum bodies.

Bill

Hello Bill,

Not really expecting it to have the sound quality of wood but it gave me a chance to "turn" a body to get a feel of making a wood one on the new lathe. I have never even touched a wood lathe so this will be a full learning experience for me.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Looks great.

Just one problem...

The metal crows it attracts will be pooping swarf on your car....

:ROFL:

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
Looks great.

Just one problem...

The metal crows it attracts will be pooping swarf on your car....

:ROFL:

:o :???: :-[ :-\ :'(
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
Hunh, a crow call, useful if you know somebody with a corn crib that needs defending (I'll bet the sound will vary more with how you hold the call, and how hard you blow, more than the tube material, but could be wrong).  I suppose you can get duck and goose call inserts too?  Having raised one hunter son, I'd like to make some of those too!  Any chance you can say where you get the inserts from Thomas?

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
Hunh, a crow call, useful if you know somebody with a corn crib that needs defending (I'll bet the sound will vary more with how you hold the call, and how hard you blow, more than the tube material, but could be wrong).  I suppose you can get duck and goose call inserts too?  Having raised one hunter son, I'd like to make some of those too!  Any chance you can say where you get the inserts from Thomas?

Hello Bent,

Yes, I buy the inserts (called "guts") for the Crow and Duck calls from Brookside Game Calls and I also buy the wood call blanks from them. Attached is a Cherry Wood Crow Call that I finished turning a couple of days ago. Still needs a lot more sanding before I apply the finish but this will give you an idea.

The aluminum call is just a slight pitch higher than a wood call. And you are correct, many variations in the sound is controlled by the person. It is kind of a knack to get a really good Crow sound and one that a murder will respond to.

Have a great day,
Thomas
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:58:38 PM by Ye-Ole Steam Dude »
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal