Supporting > Tooling & Machines

CNC Router Built in the Workshop

(1/2) > >>

Bruce W-S:
CNC Router

I found making small complex parts for engine models time consuming and decided to build a CNC router to do the task. The specification was that it had to have the capability to cut up to 6mm steel, brass and aluminum plus other similar materials.

The electronics is quite straightforward and there have been plenty of articles describing their construction. In my case, I scrounged the computer with required XP operating system (Windows 7 is acceptable) as well as most of the material. The controlling software is Mach 3 “mill”

The construction used 20mm thick aluminum plate, which was suitability, machined and bolted together. The construction may seem to be somewhat over the top however, I had the opportunity to get a friends machine up and running and noted the vibration when cutting aluminum plate. So I decided that building the machine as ridged as possible was the way to go. A lot of routers have been successfully built however, this was my solution. The spindle is 1.5 HP using a single phase to three-phase controller. The spindle is also water-cooled which has worked well as the motor has never become hot even after several hours of machining. I was given a forth axis device which included a chuck but to date I haven’t used it.

Since building this machine, I have converted a lathe to CNC for a friend. The only complexity was the motor speed control and the programming for the tool turret. However, it all worked in the end. I am just in the process of building the controller to convert a mill to CNC for the same person.

My router is in constant use for all manor of tasks and it makes a useful addition to the workshop. If anyone would like more detail on the build, I am happy to provide it (or on any other CNC problem).  Note, I use Cambam to convert the DFX file to G code. Requires understanding the basics but there is plenty of help.

Also, I have now mounted the computer screen on a hinged mount so that the unit is totally self-contained on a movable trolly. I have a small workshop so everything that can be mounted on wheels is and moved out when required.

Bruce

I have included the following photos:

Photos 1 and 2 show the general arrangement of the router.

Photo 3 shows the machine with the water-cooling on while cutting some steel plate.

Photo 4 shows carbon fiber sheet that has been cut out for a mini quad copter (things you do for people)

Photo 5 shows some flanges being cut out from 6 mm brass for a marine engine.

Photo 6 some engine components being cut out from 5mm sheet steel

Fowellbox:
Hello Bruce, what a wonderful project. I, for one, would like to see more details.
Brian

Roger B:
That's a fine machine  :praise2: How many cuts do you have to take for those 5mm steel pieces or will it do it in one bite?

yogi:
I like it!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Definitely sturdier than the average router you see out there. Any chance of a video to see it cut?

Steve17:
Hi Bruce, what a nice sturdy looking design. I can't recall ever seeing a home made gantry design cutting what looks like steel before. How slow can you make the water cooled spindle go?
Steve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version